some interesting times ahead

hehe sina whatsapp group

The constitution is the problem, so many elective posts, and some mad men want other powerful posts to be included

Constitution if fine, in my opinion. Problem is many institutions not performing their role adequately.

no way, the posts are way too many, they should be slashed and others done away with, kazi ya women rep ni nini

Could be but try and bundle up the total pay of the “unnecessary” positions. And then compare with the national debt. You may realize that it is small percent wise.

Actually the wage bill is way off the line, recently the world bank complained over the same, its the cause of the huge debt, just do some research. For a healthy economy, the wage bill should be at most 30% of the total budget. In kenya, it is almost 65, totally unaacceptable

Have also never understood their roles

In the morning @Abba mentioned priorities. Uhuruto think Sgr is more important than that oncology machine that costs 100mili and they are only two in the country. One disfuncyional and another that works intermittently.

yes what are their priorities? mzito @Eng’iti this is one question that every kenyan should ask. Go to the streets and request extra oncology machine,sio extra electric engine kwa the new locomotive. Brother these questions all kenyans have but you know what blinds them " as long as my people are in power is more important that healthcare"

Very true . An example is KRA raising duty on car imports , someone thought it would only add change for the tax man but as a result car imports have dropped Ksh 35 billion in a short time and bound to get worse .
You know there’s trouble when a country is taking on new debt to pay an existing debt - simple maths .

they call it a rat race .

[ATTACH=full]137890[/ATTACH]

I think the key is accumulation of debt has to result in enhanced production capacity. Due the politics in the USA, every 8 years the focus changes from “investing in America” to reducing the national debt. Nobody has come close to closing the gap except Obama and Clinton.

In my view, the problem in Kenya is not the debt per se, but the politics associated with the debt-income (GDP) ratio. Specifically, the people that are not in control of these funds use mundane arguments to politicize development efforts since it is much harder to quantify the national benefit of a railway for example, than to be alarmed that you now owe KES XXX. Literate Kenyans ought to be able to figure out if there solid investments that justify the debt, AND which can increase productivity to cover repayment.

Concurred with some qualifications. Short term debt is inevitable if production is not up to par. Secondly, vicious politics upset the balance in socio-economic activity (you don’t need examples for this). More important is how you manage the debt.

I think that if the only way to improve infrastructure is by runaway borrowing , sooner or later you will be in trouble. You also have to improve productivity with existing facilities. An example of runaway borrowing without improving collections is Puerto Rico. Yeah they improved infrastructure. But they ended up in the hole. And there’s plenty of room for improvement. Think about if I get into office and within a year I can purchase a 3/4 five star hotel in the CBD. And I am 1 official. Hundreds of officials are doing the same. Gross inefficiency or loose controls somewhere before you even think of borrowing.

Agreed. By avoiding the debt in the first place. And then questions need to be asked especially by our parliament- and they need to place caps on the borrowing.

I like that idea. I’m sure there is some kind of project classification criteria right now and I don’t know what it is.

But even if they do this, you still have the problem of political connections raising a row if they’re not benefiting.

The o

The discussion of the overall debt amount is between the Treasury CS( or staff) and Parliament. And its an open process . So there should not be any connection or benefitting. What happens after the release of funds is another story. Strictly speaking you don’t need any caps, just need to keep track of the debt vs national income.

@simiyu what do you project in our next budget? A massive deficit of how many trillions now that money has been spent in Kumira Kumira and buying IDs?

It will be close to break even. Everything swept under the rag.