Some possible scenarios

Yes, not ideal in Kenya. Anytime the government engages in commercial activities, its disaster. Uchumi, KQ, National Bank, etc. Plus if Del Monte is asked to leave, they will not purchase those pineapples. Suddenly, Muranga county will be in the business of hawking pineapples.

And Nairobi provides a livelihood and home for over 3.5 million Kenyans instead of just 2,000 wazungus and 4,000 Indians. I would say Nairobi is better off today.

I don’t know where you got this one from. There has been settlement schemes since we gained independence and most of them are very successful in settling Kenyans.

And what is so wrong with real estate? At least it will move people from mud and tin shacks

Kiambu county has already renewed thier lease for another 99yrs hakuna mahali wanaenda.

Have your head examined. No local will get land on such exit.

You forget that white highlands were expropriated using the same argument only to end up in the hands of a few elite. Trust you me, hii shamba ya del Monte ikapewa nyeuthi will turn into a desert in 10 years.

In Delmonte case there is no symbiosis.Locals even though they partly have to blame never benefit from.Even the simple csr is a tall order

Does locals mean Kenyans? Are there Kenyans working there?

Delmonte wakienda anza na Thika town kufungwa literally. Uliza watu walikuwa wanaishi webuye kama huamini

That is what i said need to be sacrificed for the land to be taken back.That is not CSR by the way

DC mpumbavu niaje,godfather yako anaweza niunganishia kazi treasury.Tafadhali

Godfather wangu ni @Bingwa Scrotum kama uko na mcoosh ya kupeana ingia balcony

Thika haiwezi fungwa…unlike webuye that depended on one factory, Thika is an industrial town with several well performing manufacturing/processing companies.
But i agree that a good number of the local population will be jobless. Delmonte has created its own ecosystem that supports thousands of families.

That land should revert to govt and used to relieve pressure of expensive settlements/plots providing many Kenyans with affordable housing. It doesn’t make sense having foreign owned plantations next to cities while citizens live in shacks while counties like Tana river, Garisa, Kwale, Baringo… Taita have thousands of acres of idle land that can be leased to investors with attractive terms.
But Gatheca hawezi taka kusikia land getting affordable because hapo ndio ameshika wakenya macagary

As of the cities growing around, Del monte is Grandfathered in.

What do you think would happen to land prices in the proposed Northlands and sorounding areas if Delmontes land suddenly became available for settlement. As in both Kiambu and Muranga counties surveyed and put in infrastructure (roads, water, electricity) and made it available to the public?
Land prices would re-adjusted and correct hii mambo ya maguta maguta.

that land should be preserved for large scale agriculture, it does not matter who farms, muranga govt can complain if their people do not get jobs from this plantation. And since this land has been developed for agriculture with water reservoirs and irrigation system, it shouldn’t be subdivided for settlement or for the uneconomical small scale farming.

True, and Kenya suffers more if the US retaliates by cancelling AGOA.

kenyans are foolish. eti 10000 unemployed? that land should be distributed to the workers and the local residents. wapande managu na mahindi. muache kukula uchafu nairobi. you cannot exchange eternal inheritance for few pennies. Gitu wa Kahengeri is a traitor.

It will be run down in 6 months tops. Idi amin and Uganda style.