Stronger shilling...

True. And you will find a higher percentage of the population can afford that 0.99 than in kenya where a lower percentage will afford that 30 bob

I think it’s not fair to compare Kenya with the US. Perhaps you could have cited a country like Egypt or South Africa.

It also depends on a nations natural resources. For example, in somalia its cheaper to eat fish than skuma wiki.

our port is third largest in africa by volume of biz behind two in SA and followed by Dar and Beira. that should tell you something about the economy. |Kenya GDP in billions USD 74.0 , Tz 52

why?:smiley:

Things are cheaper in TZ because of their weaker currency and low economy (read poverty). Once they start adding billions of dollars into their GDP utaona vitu zikipanda bei.

last I checked our GDP was USD 110b

Let’s understand all this information.

The usa economy is growing due to a few things. The usa is driving the crude oil prices to record lows using two things, they stopped importing 10 million barrels daily and two are now actually exporting their own oil. That meant a lot of dollars they could be using to pay out remains there and they are actually receiving more dollar back state side. Trump trade wars also limits trade with traditional markets like China. The dollar value has appreciated from the chaos with the $$ strengthen against all currencies. All African currencies lost value to the usd. Kenya case didn’t, it actually grew thanks to record FDI, exports, diaspora remittances back home, a growing manufacturing base and a diversified economy. Nigeria, Angola lost almost 50% value. Egypt and S.A lost 7% and a lot of sub-sahara countries lost between 10-15%. That’s why the term “strong shilling”. This is reinforced by the constant projection every January by money traders that Kshs is overvalued by 10% and will correct itself this year for sure. However it has remained stable and strong. My take is simple. Only 40% of the economy at best is covered formally and officially. 60% of the economy data remains unofficial and I’m glad its the buffer zone. In the last decade the Kshs has moved between 95-104 high and low points. It averages at 100 and its movement is very slow on an annual graph as it rises or lowers. That’s why I was wondering about the hullabaloo when it depreciates. Its a very stable currency. You know your variable costs of importing goods for a certainty within a year. Some countries find themselves with variables of 5%-10% between buying, transportation and delivery timelines. Trade regionally can be affected by currency fluctuations if the volumes are big. However the biggest variables is not the currency change but delays on the road and damages. However I want to assure @Soprano that changes are starting from this weekend. Importers/exporters and government quarterly meeting came with more directives to save costs and time between port and final destination. Now only KRA, KEBS and KPA will do verification. The others will incorporate their clearance issues on those 3 bodies. Some things like fumigation certification etc will be under Kebs. The procedure paperwork will be single to allow two of the three to clear everything quickly. Basically just small delays on a few containers helds up 100’s of containers at the Xray scanners. This change alone will reduce costs by 20% and move things faster.

this needs evidence.

I am not very conversant with economic figures and technicalities, but I have been to tz on a few occasions and though I have not traveled widely through out that country, if stranger moved through both countries without being made aware of boundaries they can not tell a difference - I have never felt we are that different from each other especially in terms of poverty or living standards - if you go say to denmark or japan you will notice the difference lakini hapa I really never see a big difference on the ground, theoretically maybe, but on the ground.

The rating of ports in Africa vary depending on the base statistics. However Mombasa is a constant third in all variable. Durban in first in all variables.

Biggest port - Durban, Abidjan, Mombasa, Alexandria

Most Tonnage handled - Durban, Richards Bay Coal Terminal also in Durban ( separate port), Mombasa Port, Alexandria.

Most containers handled - Durban, Tigres, Mombasa, Alexandria

Busiest Port - Durban, Tigres, Mombasa

However once we complete the ongoing kilindini port second container terminal construction phase 2 by 2021 - phase 3 by 2025 other port expansion we will be the second biggest in all categories. Nigeria isn’t there because they have two ports and don’t depend on one. Lamu port can get ship traffic immediately the facilities are ready. Sometimes are ships at the ocean for an extra day awaiting clearance to enter the Mombasa shipping lane. Some can be diverted to Lamu.

Its growing slowly under the radar because it grows at between 1-1.5% annually. Not much to notice annually but if you look at the numbers after 5 years you see a significant growth. People forget wages in China have reached thresholds of Mexico and eastern Europe as their manufacturing industry matures to developed status. The are relocating industry to Africa to start manufacturing here. The biggest draw into Kenya is huge skilled workforce, stability, WTO membership and modernization of infrastructure.

I think wages are an area china will have to grapple with - lakini on Kenya our workforce is just too expensive and on the skilled part I would beg to differ especially when it comes to manufacturing, I think Ethiopia will suit them better - and even when it comes to sectors that need more skills e.g IT and finance we have very few numbers.

This will surprise you, Sir. When we were asleep… When we were busy fighting ourselves… When we were busy looting our country, TANZANIA CAUGHT UP WITH US!

Mwalimu, this is not a clit, but please, do click! 2017 statistics. [ATTACH=full]227527[/ATTACH]

Kenya vs. Tanzania - economy comparison

:D:D:D:D:DNgoja kwanza nicheke.

Looking at that screenshot at a glance, you would have problems telling which statistics are for Kenya and which are for Tanzania. That’s how unreal things are as of present.

We we unaishi dunia gani. Ethiopia has a better skills index than Kenya!!! Kenya has the second highest skills and human index in Africa after Mauritius and among the highest in the world. Ethiopia can even speak English well while we have over 60% of Kenyans will degrees, diplomas and certificates. The only reason Chinese firms picked Ethiopia first is that they built the SEZ first and most crucially they set their wages lower than China. Workers there earn $75 a month wages and $25 allowance. The lowest globally. 10000 a month. Then the SEZ are in remote areas where housing, food, healthcare are minimal or non existence. Productivity there is below 30% and it worried investors so much such that they started giving free lunch to motivate workers. Unions are banned there and they are not a member of WTO. All they produce goes to China HQ plants to be reshipped globally.

Nominal GDP in African countries this Oct. This are African countries with a GDP greater than US$ 20 billion.

1 Nigeria $ 397.472 B
2 South Africa $376.679 B
3 Egypt $249.471 B
4 Algeria $188.342 B
5 Morocco $118.178 B
6 Angola $114.504 B
7 Kenya $89.591 B
8 Ethiopia $83.836 B
9 Tanzania $55.645 B
10 Ghana $51.815 B
11 Côte d’Ivoire $45.875 B
12 Libya $43.236 B
13 Democratic Republic of the Congo $42.692 B
14 Tunisia $41.662 B
15 Cameroon $38.445 B
16 Sudan $33.249 B
17 Uganda $27.855 B
18 Zambia $25.778 B

GDP per capita in the same countries;

1 Libya $6,638.60
2 South Africa $6,560.04
3 Algeria $4,449.79
4 Angola $3,924.35
5 Tunisia $3,573.37
6 Morocco $3,355.42
7 Egypt $2,572.38
8 Nigeria $2,050.15
9 Kenya $1,865.21
10 Côte d’Ivoire $1,791.37
11 Ghana $1,786.65
12 Cameroon $1,544.96
13 Zambia $1,450.409
14 Tanzania $1090.099
15 Ethiopia $890.565
16 Sudan $795.273
17 Uganda $717.496
18 Democratic Republic of the Congo $478.321

East Africa has a bright future, and if D.R. Congo gets good leadership in the upcoming elections, they will follow suit. The growth of Tanzania, Ethiopia and hopefully Congo will have a positive effect on Kenya.

Meanwhile, rest of the world in nominal GDP;

Europe GDP

1. Germany - $4.029 trillion
  2. United Kingdom - $2.808 trillion
  3. France - $2.795 trillion
  4. Italy - $2.087 trillion
  5. Russia - $1.576 trillion
  6. Spain - $1.437 trillion
  7. Netherlands - $909 billion
  8. Switzerland - $709 billion
  9. Sweden - $555 billion
  10. Poland - $550 billion

North America GDP

1. USA - $20.513 trillion
  2. Canada - $1.734 trillion

Latin America GDP

1. Brazil - $1.909 trillion
  2. Mexico - $1.199 trillion
  3. Argentina - $475 billion
  4. Colombia - $337 billion
  5. Chile - $300 billion
  6. Peru - $229 billion

Asia-Pacific GDP

1. China - $13.457 trillion
  2. Japan - $5.070 trillion
  3. India - $2.690 trillion
  4. Korea - $1.655 trillion
  5. Australia - $1.427 trillion
  6. Indonesia - $1.005 trillion
  7. Taiwan - $602 billion
  8. Thailand - $490 billion
  9. Hong Kong - $360 billion
  10. Malaysia - $347 billion
  11. Singapore - $346 billion
  12. Philippines - $331 billion
  13. Pakistan - $307 billion
  14. Bangladesh - $286 billion
  15. Vietnam - $241 billion

Middle East GDP

1. Saudi Arabia - $770 billion
  2. Turkey - $714 billion
  3. United Arab Emirates - $433 billion
  4. Iran - $430 billion
  5. Israel - $365 billion

This is so very true! In fact you will notice some difference. Because the public infrastructure and private property in Kenya seem to be old, old style and dilapidated. But in Tanzania the roads are newer hence smoother, private property developers seem to have a better taste of/and style. There’s more sense of order in Tanzania while in Kenya we have a tendency of doing things haphazardly.

lakini on Kenya our workforce is just too expensive and on the skilled part I would beg to differ especially when it comes to manufacturing, I think Ethiopia will suit them better - and even when it comes to sectors that need more skills e.g IT and finance we have very few numbers.

I thought low wages, lack of unions and strict government control is what makes manufacturing an attractive prospect - plus I don’t think the Chinese manufacturing workers are that good in English, since you have used that as a measure.

Anyway, my point was that, Ethiopia will suit the Chinese better when it comes to manufacturing, and on the skilled sectors IT, finance and others, we don’t have the numbers, for example try hiring 100 software developers from kenya uone, I mean India can give you more than that at like 30k per month salary, we don’t have the numbers to compete.

Look at the BPO sector hata hapa kenya, one of the biggest issues they face is employee turnover its just too high for stability.

I call bull shit to this on the bit about fuel prices, their erc is called ewura, visit their website, prices are just a bit cheaper than Kenya, but they vary depending on international crude prices