TBT end month Baridi edition

Government Road (now Moi Avenue) Nairobi 1950 with Gill House in the background.
[ATTACH=full]180201[/ATTACH]

Remember those dustbin? When Nairobi was Nairobi. Those arent
teenagers , they’re chokoras

Hehehe. Mimi nilidhani chuom is something we came up with in the late 2000s:D

I see mombasa road looking like a footpath. was it tarmacked then? then current meru nairobi road looking much more humble while joining uhuru highway.

teenagers cant be chokoras?

[ATTACH=full]180202[/ATTACH]
1983_ Open air barber at Shauri Moyo, Nairobi

Why did barbers and tailors have kaunda suits?

A hawker @Mathaais in Nairobi, 1984
[ATTACH=full]180211[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]180212[/ATTACH]
1940s Salisbury Hotel where Hotel Kempinsky belonging to the Popat family is located. Kempinsky is just a hotel management brand, and they get your enterprise off the ground then hand it back. Villa Rosa is the actual name of the Hotel.
The Marriot Hotels chain has taken over this plot that straddles the designated UN staff route.

Vestiges of the Salisbury Hotel used to operate as a club for a long time but had to close down after a fatal shooting.

At one time, American PreparatoryI Institute was located on the same parcel of land but closed down after about 3 years of operation. I supplied paintings to some director for about two years… they were great fans of my work.

Later on some shady brothel took over, lending credence to Muthithi road’s reputation as the shadiest part of Westlands (at the time) past midnight.

Painting a Zebra Crossing out the New Stanley Hotel, Kimathi Street, Nairobi_1970
[ATTACH=full]180213[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]180215[/ATTACH]
When football was a crowd puller … there wasn’t even standing room at Nyayo National Stadium for a big one like the Fifa World Cup qualifier (Italia ’90) when George Weah and Liberia came calling. Top left, the then Kenya football caretaker boss Mathew Adams Karauri — also a Government Assistant Minister for Education — tries to cope with overwhelming multitudes infield, among them journalists including football buff and Kenya’s most present day eminent writer Philip Ochieng’ (standing second from right). Photo/Voice of Sport Archives

[ATTACH=full]180217[/ATTACH]
he is now a president

I like this historic soap opera …,this film led me to libraries to read about white slaves … Before this soap opera I thought always blacks were the only victims of slavery…
[ATTACH=full]180218[/ATTACH]

1969_ Angry protestors clash with police in downtown Nairobi Tom Mboya’s requiem mass.
[ATTACH=full]180220[/ATTACH]

Maina Wanjigi’s campaign car, Nairobi, 1969 General Elections. He won the Kamukunji seat on a KANU ticket.
[ATTACH=full]180223[/ATTACH]
TBT trivia
yeye ni baba ya nani?
for 1000KCr

Nice. Pewa mbili kwa bill ya Ouru.

Always the best… @Meria Mata

jimi Wanjigi

River Road, Nairobi_1960
[ATTACH=full]180224[/ATTACH]

First black Kenyan airforce officers…
[ATTACH=full]180225[/ATTACH]