TBT International Womens Day edishen

ata wewe???
mwathani!

1. Vice President Kibaki takes the Queen of England for a train ride in Nairobi.
    [ATTACH=full]161378[/ATTACH]
    The insignia transformed the train temporarily to British territory.
  1. Royal Airforce Base, Eastleigh…Nairobi
    [ATTACH=full]161379[/ATTACH]
    Looks like a scene from the movie Escape from Sobibor
  1. When the world’s fastest plane ever, the Concorde, visited nairobi
    [ATTACH=full]161380[/ATTACH]
    wonder how much money hawa ndauwo walilipwa

[ATTACH=full]161383[/ATTACH]
Wadau naulisa kaa hii imemature kua TBT

Sr Roseline Lenguris is the first woman from the Samburu tribe to become a Catholic sister. She was born in 1982 in Lodokejek village, Samburu County. Her father was and still is a catechist, and she was introduced into the Catholic faith when I was very young and was baptised Roselyne Juliete Lenguris.

When the elders heard that Roselyne wanted to pursue such a vocation, their response was unanimous. “You had rather be dead than to live in this world without bearing children like a dry stick,”

The concept of becoming a sister is foreign to them because it has never happened in this community before. All they understood was that I wasn’t going to get married and wasn’t going to bear any children for the community.

In 1996, when she was only 14-years-old, the elders in her village led by her father’s brothers visited her home with the intention of marrying her off. She was young but she knew what was expected of her. She said yes but asked to finish her KCPE first.

The rest as they say, is history…
[ATTACH=full]161385[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]161386[/ATTACH]
Dr Julia Auma Ojiambo was born on 29th November 1936. Those who were born yesterday need to read on Dr Julia Ojiambo and be inspired. She is a woman of many firsts and I cannot do her justice in this post.

1. 1st Kenyan woman to be admitted to Harvard University
  2. 1st Kenyan woman to be awarded a Doctorate from UON
  3. 1st African woman to be appointed a lecturer at UON
  4. 1st Female MP in elected post in Western Kenya & 2nd in Kenya. She was elected MP for Funyula in 1974.
  5. 1st Kenyan woman to be appointed Asst Minister in Independent Kenya.

She said in an interview:- “Women have done a lot. Before independence, we were there in numbers but lacked the voice. Nobody would allow us to go in front of a chief’s baraza and talk. But through education and the Constitution, this all changed and we have greatly been empowered,".

[ATTACH=full]161387[/ATTACH]
Kilindini Road Mombasa - 1960s

[ATTACH=full]161392[/ATTACH]
Government Road present day Moi Avenue - Nairobi -1920s

[ATTACH=full]161393[/ATTACH]
Perhaps one of the best Kenyan lady pugilist! No matter what happens! She will remain up there in our reknown heroes like Robert Napunyi Wangila!

[ATTACH=full]161394[/ATTACH]
Baba Clichy apan tambua womens day

Whoopi Goldberg, New York 1987.
[ATTACH=full]161395[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]161396[/ATTACH]
An iron lady who challenged KBL monopolism! She believed in her dream and pursued it into being. I celebrate her!!

[ATTACH=full]161397[/ATTACH]
Dr Betty Gikonyo’s Journey From Earning Ksh700 To Becoming Karen Hospital CEO

Dr Betty Gikonyo is one outstanding Kenyan woman, both in professional as well as entrepreneurship and business circles.

She is the co-founder and CEO of the Karen Hospital, a Nairobi based 102-bed specialty hospital. Since establishment in 2006, her Hospital today has expanded to five satellite centres spread across Kenya.

She is also the co-founder of the Heart to Heart Foundation, a non-profit medical charity that funds curative services to children with heart ailments and raises awareness about preventing heart diseases in Kenya. Last year, she released her autobiography, The Girl Who Dared to Dream.

In a recent interview with Dinfin Mulupi in How We Made it in Africa, she shares the inspiring journey of her career from a clerk, schooling to eventually setting up her successful group of hospitals.

1. What was your first job?
    My first job was working with the Kenya Railways and Harbours just before I joined university. I was a clerk. I was earning Ksh. 700 which was a lot of money coming from the Ksh. 20 I was often given as pocket money while in school. It was so much money I did not know what to do with it.

2. What are the top reasons why you have been successful in business?
    I work hard and I am persistent. When I want something I go for it. I will not stop until I get it. I don’t necessarily step on people’s toes, but when I see an obstacle I look for ways to overcome it rather than turning back. I have that resilience and tenacity. I am not being arrogant but I really believe in myself. I believe I can succeed and that when I take up a responsibility I can do it. I am also good at convincing people to come on board and join me in executing an idea or supporting my cause.

3. What parts of your job keep you awake at night?
    Different times come with different things to worry about. The financial obligations are what preoccupied me [in the past] but not anymore because we have paid off our KSh.700m debt.
    For me the financials: the payroll, the suppliers and the bank debt… kept me awake not in a bad way but because I am alert to the great responsibility that was weighing down on my shoulders. In as much as I work with Dan [Dr. Dan Gikonyo, her husband], we have separated our responsibilities.
    He takes care of the clinical issues and I make sure that the business side is working. If I had a choice I would prefer to be on the clinical side because I am a doctor and that is my comfort zone.
    I am a perfectionist in some way and I don’t like things not going right. I want suppliers and staff paid on time. When you run a hospital you never run out of people who need your services but sometimes your clients do not have money.

4. What are the best things about your country, Kenya?
    God has given us a very beautiful country that has literally everything that a human being could want. Kenya is the Garden of Eden. We have a sea, we have a desert, we have mountains and hills, we have the Rift Valley, we have wildlife and a wonderful climate. Kenyans are very good people.
    When you get them to come together they are able to move even a mountain. I appreciate the colonialists [because today] we have a highly educated population. If you want heart surgeons they are here, if you want great bankers and IT innovators they are here. Kenya is a country that is endowed with so much human resource.

5. Your future career plans?
    I am actually easing off in terms of day-to-day management of the hospital. I have a very good succession plan. My deputy is in place and all things working out by June, I should be able to say there is someone who is running the show here. I want to develop the school programme. I want to leave a legacy of training the next generation of medical doctors. I feel the expansion of the hospital and satellite clinics can be handled by someone else as I focus more on medical training in a bigger way… like a university.

6. What is your message to Africa’s young aspiring businesspeople and entrepreneurs?
    First and foremost, make sure that you get the knowledge and skills in the area that you are interested in. I would say that already exists among many youth. What should be addressed is how they can now go into business. One way they can do this is coming up with a project in a field they have a passion for. That passion is very important as a driving force so the first thing should be identifying where your passion is.

Courtesy: Howwemadeitinafrica.com

[ATTACH=full]161398[/ATTACH]
It took Governor Ngilu’s radical anti charcoal policy for Kenya to suddenly wake up to the realisation that the deforestation menace needs urgent interventions. Suddenly everyone is talking about banning of logging, planting of trees and restoring forest cover. Kudos Mama Ngilu for your mettle.

[ATTACH=full]161399[/ATTACH]
The late Angela Chibalonza a Congolese https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/f57/1/16/1f1e8_1f1ec.png gospel artist she was such a passionate worshipper

hao ni rare watts

First woman mayor in Kenya
[ATTACH=full]161400[/ATTACH]
"Grace Akech Onyango was the first African Iron Lady of Kenyan politics.

Born in Sakwa, Bondo and married in Gem to a teacher-journalist Onyango Baridi she became the first woman to be elected mayor of Kisumu Town in 1967 and MP in 1969.

She then capped it all by being elected first woman Secretary-General of Luo Union (East Africa).

no, rare watts came much latter

In the spirit of the day, Let us celebrate Koinange St. too… The first red light Street, where many a women made their fortunes and many a men lost theirs. :wink:

Koinange St. Nairobi 1970.
[ATTACH=full]161401[/ATTACH]