The Great Abortion Debate

Hao madaktari was MBCHB hawataki wenzao clinicians wanukishe kitunguu …fuck KMPDU

You underestimate the power of globalization of stupidity.

I also have an issue with their recent campaigns but…
If a woman, or teenage girl wants to procure an abortion she will still do it, nothing will stop her…the question is whether she’s rich enough to do it safely at a good hospital or in some backstreet clinic which would endanger her life. Marie stopes provides that safe option
having said that I will let women, the womb careers, to have the final say in this matter.

Define safe abortions okwonkwo? Do they really exist? Really?

Despite what is being sold out there, the very same things Mugo wa Wairimu does are exactly what they do at Marie Stopes.

Si ati Mugo wa Wairimu ni mjinga hivo unafikiria, drugs anatumia ni zile zile tu. Procedure ni the same. He is probably better, believe it or not. And women do die at Marie Stopes clinics:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/marie-stopes-clinic-criticised-for-death-of-alesha-thomas-15-after-abortion-k9sltj592n8

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-43962805

These are highly dangerous procedures despite what is put out there.

This situation ni kama KBL iseme, “our alcohol is the good, clean kind. It doesn’t kill!”

Of course that’s bullshit. You could overdose, or if you drive on too much kbl product wewe kwisha.

Can Marie Stopes get rid of future stigma that grips mothers who aborted? They do often ask, “hey my kid could be grown up by now but I killed him or her… for what? A better salary?!”

Marie stops can’t clean your memory or justify murder. It remains murder.

2,600 failures at Marie Stopes U.K.

[SIZE=7]SPUC: Marie Stopes “death factories” should be closed down after damning report[/SIZE]
21 December 2016

https://www.spuc.org.uk/~/media/Images/SPUC/Press-Releases/Marie-Stopes-centre.ashx?la=en

The Society for the Protection of Unborn Children (SPUC) has condemned both the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and Marie Stopes International after inspectors uncovered a catalogue of dangerous and illegal practices at private abortion clinics.

And the pro-life group called for the Marie Stopes operation to be closed down in the wake of the damning revelations.

SPUC chief executive John Smeaton said:

"It is beyond comprehension that these state-sponsored death factories are allowed to remain open despite 2,600 failures being uncovered by inspectors - reportedly including doctors going home while women remained unsedated and foetuses thrown into bins instead of being cremated.

“It beggars belief that the Care Quality Commission has failed to take the ultimate sanction.”

Mr Smeaton continued:

"The taxpayer is providing the vast majority of the income for these clinics.

"On a broader issue, it must be remembered that the law permits abortion only when there is a health risk to the mother meaning that continuing the pregnancy is more dangerous for her than an abortion. But the Department of Health and the CQC disregard the law and thousands of women are mis-certified for abortion.

"It is a matter of fact that 98% of abortions are certified on mental health grounds when the government’s own evidence shows that there’s no real risk to the woman’s mental or physical health if she has the baby. In these circumstances, these abortions are illegal.

"If abortion agencies had the welfare of women truly at heart, they would ensure that the illegal practices that Marie Stopes and others follow are stopped.

Mr Smeaton added: "Pregnant women are suffering intolerably. The CQC is defending illegal government abortion policy which kills children and sometimes women too. Women are not being offered proper support when facing difficulties in pregnancy - simply being channelled into the abortion industry funded by the Department of Health.

"Voluntary sector groups like the pro-life organisations, churches and family support groups struggle to provide real practical help but the statutory providers offer pregnant women nothing but abortion. The departmental policy fuels abortion on an industrial scale - 550 abortions every day in Britain. Abortion is an inherently risky interference in the natural pregnancy process.

“Aisha Chithira, who died after a bungled abortion at a Marie Stopes clinic in Ealing, represents only the tip of the iceberg of women who are killed, injured or left with long term problems resulting from infection, extreme emotional distress or other factors. Jade Rees, who committed suicide 3 weeks after a ‘legal’ abortion last year, shows how dangerous abortion is to women from a mental health perspective.”

@patco I understand during abortion a lot can go wrong…like overbleeding, damage or perforations to womb etc, …and this can be taken care of in a well equipped facility with ready blood for difusion, icu facilities etc…a number of women are usually rushed to kenyatta after botched abortions at Ill equipped clinics. So safe abortion actually exists and it’s recommended that women who are determined to terminate a pregnancy seek services of trained professionals in proper hospitals…of course nothing is 100% fullproof but such incidents are minimised

The legal status of abortions in a country rarely affects the likelihood of a woman with an unintended pregnancy to procure one. So difference tu itakuwa whether we enable a safe environment for them ama leave them to their own whims in this case ni kina Mugo Wairimu. Also, it’s time Kenya stops hiding behind faux morality coz hio pia hatuna. We only call morality when it suits certain interests and most times, inakandamiza a certain group of people.

This is an issue I have been grappling with for many years. I have debated it in many forums. Here’s my two cents.

As far as Marie Stoppes is concerned, I find it the height of arrogance that a foreign NGO can just come here and break our laws. It is as if we are back in 1880s when Europeans could come to Africa and do whatever they wanted. Yet when you, a nyeuthi, wants as much as to visit Europe or America - VISIT - you are treated like a terrorist. This is racism, and I have a big problem with that. It is in the same level of accept-homosexuality-or-we-cut-aid kind of BS.

To the more substantive issue of abortion. Even in America where abortion has been legal in some states for the last 40 years, the jury is still out on who has more rights - the baby (foetus) or the woman. How should we decide which one is to live?

My view is, if a woman does not want a baby, there are many options open to her, ranging from contraceptives (totally free in all government public facilities) to emergency, after-sex drugs like levonorgestrel. If a woman allows a foetus to develop up to near-term she should carry it and then give it up for adoption if she doesn’t want it. There is a huge demand for unwanted babies any way.

As far as countries like Kenya are concerned one of my biggest arguments against legalising abortion is simple; it will lead to the death of many more women and men than it will protect. Let me explain. Kenya has less than 7,000 doctors in the public health sector. ONLY A DOCTOR WOULD BE ALLOWED TO CONDUCT AN ABORTION, IT BEING A SURGICAL PROCEDURE, if abortion was legalised (not a nurse or clinical officer!) In a country where more than 1 million women get pregnant each year, making abortions legal will almost certainly overwhelm the public health sector. Doctors will do nothing from morning to evening except conduct abortions using scarce medical resources (theatres, drugs, consumables etc etc). Other women and even men seeking medical care would be neglected. More people than the oft-cited 2,000 women who die from septic abortions (who did the study and when?) would die.

The way forward? Women MUST take control of their sexuality. In a country where contraceptives are free it beats logic that so many of them will get pregnant and then play the victim card. As far as young teens are concerned, sex education and counselling if they get pregnant can make a huge difference. Over the years I have personally counselled such pregnant teens and years later virtually all of them thanked me for not allowing them to abort - let nobody lie to you, abortion leaves some very very deep psychological trauma.

The other day, one of those babies who was supposed to be aborted, now a working beautiful young lady, sent me a ‘HBD Guka’ gift of 2K. I think her mama told her, without disclosing the real reason of course, that am a special person in her life. Damn touching.

Except in extreme cases - incest, rape etc - abortion is evil, even for atheists like me.

hehe.

If you’re looking at this from the angle of population control, then Marie Stopes is better than having both dead babies and dead (or barren) mothers.

Hmmm…hio ni vita hamuwezi shinda. Only thing that helps you guys ni strength in numbers.

May I respectfully show some faults with your opinion.

1. Article 26(4) CoK ‘the abortion clause’ says any licensed medical professional. So it goes beyond your quoted 7000 docs to include COs and nurses.
  2. A million pregnancies does not equal a million abortions. See my previous post on abortions and the law. So there won’t be really a shortage of other medical services.
  3. There’s a whole societal stigma attached to contraception even to this day. Statistics show that condoms which should be the most prevalent form actually constitute less than 5% of the methods used. So again men leave women to their own whims.
  4. Whatever sex education is being provided right now (read abstinence) isn’t working. Evidence shows about 1 in 7 teens in Kenya get pregnant during teenage. The other 6 probably just get lucky but have sex all the same. So sex ed would do little.

I could go on about this but my point is, if we can facilitate safer abortions for the women in Kenya, then let’s.

You consistently raise good points about the population tsunami that’s undercutting Africa’s prosperity and development.

Buuut, how come you’re a little hesitant to elevate your thought process to the next level. We know what the problems are, so what are doing about it?

To me, the answer is as clear as day. Empowering the girl child. Despite the feeling that too much emphasis has been placed on girls, I believe we are just scraping the surface.

Africa’s future depends on her investment on the girl child. She is the key driver in all metrics of national well-being.

UNESCO feels the same way and have the research findings to back me up.

“Women with formal education are more likely than uneducated women to use contraception, marry later, have fewer children, and be better informed on the nutritional and other needs of children.

For each additional year a young woman spent in school, the age at which she had her first child was delayed approximately six to 10 months.

In Mali, women with secondary education or higher have an average of 3 children while those with no education have an average of 7 children.

In Burkina Faso, mothers with secondary education are twice as likely to give birth more safely in health facilities as those with no education.

A child born to a mother who can read is 50 percent more likely to survive past the age of 5 than a child born to an illiterate woman.

Women in 32 countries who remained in school after primary school were five times more likely to know basic facts about HIV than illiterate women.

A study in Uganda demonstrated that each additional year of education for girls reduces their chances of contracting HIV by 6.7 percent.

A single year of primary school has been shown to increase women’s wages later in life by 10 percent to 20 percent, while the returns to female secondary education are between 15 percent and 25 percent.”

https://www.prb.org/girls-education-fact-sheet/

criminalizing abortion only contributes to more back street abortions which are a main contributor of maternal mortality in the country. Marie stopes Kenya has actually done so much to the Kenyan women than what the goverment and other NGOs have in the recent past. It has given women power to decide about their bodies and a voice to be heard

Robbery is illegal in Kenya and you don’t see this faulty justification that people will rob whether we punish it or not. The unborn child has rights to live just like a toddler has rights to live.
Below are sections of Kenya law on abortion

Article 158. Attempts to procure abortion.

Any person who, with intent to procure miscarriage of a woman, whether she is or is not with child, unlawfully administers to her or causes her to take any poison or other noxious thing, or uses any force of any kind, or uses any other means whatever, is guilty of a felony and is liable to imprisonment for fourteen years.

Article 159. The like by woman with child.

Any woman who, being with child, with intent to procure her own miscarriage, unlawfully administers to herself any poison or other noxious thing, or uses any force of any kind, or uses any other means whatever, or permits any such thing or means to be administered or used to her, is guilty of a felony and is liable to imprisonment for seven years.

Article 160. Supplying drugs or instruments to procure abortion.

Any person who unlawfully supplies to or procures for any person any thing whatever, knowing that it is intended to be unlawfully used to procure the miscarriage of a woman whether she is or is not with child, is guilty of a felony and is liable to imprisonment for three years.

[…]

Article 228. Killing unborn child.

Any person who, when a woman is about to be delivered of a child, prevents the child from being born alive by any act or omission of such a nature that, if the child had been born alive and had then died, he would be deemed to have unlawfully killed the child, is guilty of a felony and is liable to imprisonment for life.

[…]

Constitutional Law 101: The Constitution is the supreme law of the land. Any laws inconsistent with the Constitution are void to the degree of inconsistency. So the PC is actually sort of inconsistent re article 26(4) of the Constitution.

All these arguments stem from, I tend to think, that provision. What is permissible re health of the mother? Does it include mental health of her carrying the pregnancy to term?

Abortion up to 12 weeks should be permitted. After 12 weeks severe restrictions should be put in place.

Except a foetus up to 12 weeks is not a child.
By that justification, certain stem cell masses should also be considered pseudo-foetuses.

As soon as the male seed enters the ovum it becomes a person because uninterrupted it will become a baby. Everything else ni hadithi

Is a claim that is pure nonsense.Up to 8 weeks it is a stem cell that can be manipulated to become anything. You can turn it into skin cells, neural cells and all a manner of other things.
By your analogy, what you claim is ‘conception’ is a process through which things like Viruses also enter our cells.Doesn’t a virus like HIV do the EXACT same thing?Inject its DNA into another cell?? Stem Cels transfer DNA is a similar mannner with each other and rearrange and activate it in the EXACT same way a fertilized egg and sperm.(which btw is classified as a stem cell more or less)
In this day and age you can also make a stem cell into an egg and sperm.I guess bone marrow transplant is a form of impregnation then??
Life DOES NOT begin at conception, becasuse that is not something that by any definition , alive. Otherwise a lot of things in our bodies would be considered ‘alive’.