The Lamu Coal Plant: Your thoughts?

Cases kortini na protest by villagers and environmentalists

NO! This is a 220kv line project from Rabai to lamu Via Malindi and Garsen which was meant to deliver power to Lamu and Garsen as well as stabilize supply in Malindi (a great project from the govt). Again, the terminal station (Lamu substation) is no where near the proposed coal power plant site and even if a link was done from this station to the power plant, this transmission has no capacity to evacuate 1000MW of power. This project needs atleast a 400kV Transmission line.

I already gave you the most practical answer to your ‘why coal?’ question…It’s cheaper in the long run. Though it’s not as simple as the statement looks…alot goes into consideration to arrive at that conclusion. Demand is a big element kwanza…then you think about Power output vis a vis specific time factors. As it is, bado hatuna demand ambayo inatuhitaji ku generate power mob kiasi hicho…if we are trying to get industrialised, we should be wondering ‘why the hell not?’…not shunning coal as a source of energy.

Halafu braza, don’t compare us to industrialised nations. They are already industrialised! What we are looking at is how did they get industrialised?..COAL. And it’s not true, the cut backs you are talking about in Germany etc…get the facts right. Or read the first post I made on this thread.

Halafu nimechoka kuongelea coal. We could discuss the extent to which pretty young thangs aid the process of industrialization in growing economies…lazma kuna vile wana grow economies hawa watu.

Thank you, I didn’t know that. That also means I don’t know about the proposed high voltage line to evacuated it as well. I would only wish its done the same as Ethiopia-Turkana-Suswa line.

Well true lets bury the coal discussion but what i said about the cutbacks are factual… and we need not use rudimentary technology just because of process.

I still hold the opinion that, for us to industrialize, we must construct coal power plant. We have in abudance wind and Solar energy but these sources are extremly unreliable especially for industial supply. For now we might not need the coal fired plant for our immediate needs, but in future, we will need the plant.
There was a very ambitious plan by the Jubilee govt of generating 5000MW in five years but m happy it was not realized coz, where would we take the excess power?

Personally, if it was up to me solar and wind projects would strictly be for home use only. Like you said it can’t ran an industry plant. My main contention with Wind power is the land mass it takes. Lake Turkana has taken up 15000 acres of land, the proposed Lamu wind power is in court as two projects are colliding over 25000 acres. Thats nearly half a county on land mass. No wonder local communities find it hard to give way. That’s a lot of land for less than 500 turbines. Secondly what environment activist wouldn’t tell you is that wind power is more expensive than coal, hydro, geothermal and nuclear. Solar takes up less land but its expensive on large scale production and only effective during the day while useless at night.

The activist will never ever Tell us about this. They advocate renewable energy and never talk of the shortcomings…I actually dont see the need for spending multi-billion dollars on these shitty renewable energy projects (apart from geothermal) whose power is so unreliable…After industializing using the fossil fuels, these economic powerhouses are discouraging the developing nations from using fossil fuels to power their industries. FERK THEM!

They still want us to lick their ass

@nv, Shukua like!

Asandi sana, VE…

Could you be knowing where exactly the special economic zone will be located in naivasha and eldoret?

Wewe speculator nakuona sana, they have several options and one thing is clear, it will all be based in rural areas outside town with little population. From there they can build infrastructure afresh to connect it to the rest of the world.

Lazima broti maguta maguta. Since I know Nasa is a long shot, let me take advantage of jubilee development

Once more, apart from Geothermal, the rest cannot be relied upon(both solar and wind) and are extremely expensive(solar). So No

they dont have the same potential to produce renewable energy like us…

we have potential to produce 20000 mw using renewable energy and we can consistently produce wind and solar for many months

Germany is hiding the fact that it now heavily relies on imported power from the rest of the EU. It shut down its nuclear plants, only to import nuclear power from Northern France.
And Germany is actually GROWING its coal power. Because it added so much wind and solar and shut down its nuclear power plants, Germany was left with no base load power. As a result, Germany’s emissions are actually RISING. When those renewable are not working(which is like 65% of the time in the case of Solar), the country is busy burning coal

What potential are you talking about??
Have you checked the tariffs for Solar power???They are by far the highest of all save for Diesel energy!!! Unless you want us to go back to 2009 electricity tarrifs of 0.20 per kilowatt-hour, Solar will never ever be a viable form of energy for large scale use so long as it is the silicon based solar panels that we have today.
And the Sun does not shine at night, which happens to be the time peak power consumption takes place!!
Same to Wind.In fact, Sub Saharan Africa as a whole has few major wind spots. Kenya is actually one of the few with good wind sites on the continent where wind blows all year around. Much of Sub-Saharan Africa is a doldrum, and if you want good wind sites, maybe the deserts like the Sahara, and even there, there is a three month period during which the wind speeds fall off(I am basing this on the Tarfaya wind farm in Morocco whose 310 MW capacity drops to around 70MW in the winter months) The best wind sites are in the far North, around the Arctic and stormy seas like the North Sea and the Bay of Biscay in Europe where offshore wind farms actually exist.
Renewable energy will never, ever be a replacement for the rest.There is a reason why not a single country depends on renewable energy 100% of the time. There are plenty that depend on fossils and nuclear 100% of the time though.
In Kenya, even Lake Turkana Wind Power will rely on Geothermal to replace it when the wind goes down.
These delusions about solar and wind should stop. In this country, we should focus on Nuclear and Geothermal, especially since Nuclear is THE SAFEST form of energy on the planet(Yes it is, 3 accidents in over 70 years is a record unmatched by any other form of energy generation) and that new designs like pebble bed technology will make it impossible for a Fukushima style accident from ever happening and at the same time, molten salt reactors that use less water will make it possible to locate such plants far from water bodies.
Geothermal is also the only renewable that works close to 90% of the time and delivers consistent power, which is why we should maximise on our potential.

No we cannot.
Which industry can rely on a power source that is only 35% efficient like solar???