The Rise and Fall of Nokia

No Americans were far ahead of their times. There is a movie/docu I watched kitambo (dont know if iys available online) called Who Killed the Electeic Car? Ford was developing an electric car in the seventies then the rich oil companies descended on them and Ford withdrew. The oil companies then created a cultural hype around big cars big engines and supporting Ford’s rivals (look at old movies and the big cars are cadillac,Buick). What the oil companies were doing was boosting their sales. Till today americans are trapped in bigger engine better car and the cooler the dude is so you fnd a toyota corolla 2.4 liter engine. VW passat 2.8 ltr v6 engine.

No Americans were far ahead of their times. There is a movie/docu I watched kitambo (dont know if iys available online) called Who Killed the Electeic Car? Ford was developing an electric car in the seventies then the rich oil companies descended on them and Ford withdrew. The oil companies then created a cultural hype around big cars big engines and supporting Ford’s rivals (look at old movies and the big cars are cadillac,Buick). What the oil companies were doing was boosting their sales. Till today americans are trapped in bigger engine better car and the cooler the dude is so you fnd a toyota corolla 2.4 liter engine. VW passat 2.8 ltr v6 engine.

Hard to disagree

Nokia is not dead. They might have made a poor decision not to jump to Android but that does not mean that they depended on phones alone. Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella admitted that the previous management made a mistake to purchase Nokia

2 Likes

It is true. But their large cc cars were never taken up by a large number of drivers in other countries who were sensitive to spending too much money on fuel. On the electric car, I agree with you.

Guys it’s only the handset arm of Nokia that is dead…it’s other businesses are still going on strong…like its apps business has any of you tried the HERE Nokia maps…it’s great more than even google maps…it’s rumored BMW want to buy it…then there is the GSM infrastructure part…and Network Management…these are multi billion businesses

1 Like

boss watch the docu. one ceo who was a banker on being appointed shut down other Nokia ventures to fully focus on phones tjat brought them success and also downfall. again in the docu there is a plausible scenario of what went down in the microsoft buying them out. some people were making money. spoiler alert: the ceo who brought up the sale idea (a Canadian and the first non-Finnish ceo) previously worked for Microsoft and on the day the deal was signed he got a binus of $18M and a job at Microsoft. hyenas were feeding on each other

yes and that explains why Ford is the most successful auto franchise outside US. they focussed offshore after the thorough beating by oil companies. the same oil companies lobbied US govt to subsidise gas prices so as to lower prices but increase consumption. Americans were fooled. you find an american car in the premio class ati 3.2 ltr c’mon that’s a Canter!

1 Like

:frowning:

handset was their flagship they rediveesified when things started going south. It is there but without the glory.Nokia should be whdre samsung is ofcourse without the military wing etc. Nokia invented sms, jake the snake. remember the Nokia communicator that had email? wow! that was groundbreaking at a time when no Kenyan had an email. your statement is like selling me a car without an engine the say atleast it has wheels it can move. Nokia is dead what we have is its ghost propped up by the sweet memories of the first phone to have a camera, a 3310 that allowed you to compose a freaky song bladebla. They are not alone that graveyard has fallen legends like Xerox, Kodak, Polaroid (hehe I once visited their rundown factory in Boston and paid my last respect) na wengine wengi. Why isn’t anyone bothered about the demise of Ericsson and Siemen phones? because that was not their core business but Nokia? Nokia ni simu

1 Like

Boss wachana na documentaries yimbo so where did Nokia get the £13 billion revenue they made in 2014? Nokia did not only make phones. The phones are was just a subdivision. Ever heard of Nokia networks? Ever worndered why Nokia Purchased Siemens Technologies? Ever heard of Nokia Here or even Nokia Technologies? I bet you dont know about those… Steve Elop was not a banker but a computer engineer. Thats why nakuambia wacha kuwatch documentaries yimbo. Plus Satya Nadella alimchuja Microsoft

boss soma vizuri I never said Elop was a banker I said he worked for microsoft previously. The banker was a different chap. That docu is on point. Again I have mentioned they rediversified but the phone took them places the networks will never akina Ericsson have been ruling that roost and now akina Huawei are in. Elop made a cool $18M for flipping Nokia.

With the purchase of Siemens and themerger with Alcatel-Lucent Nokia now leads Ericsson n huawei

Umesahau all the patents za simu that they have.

The 18million he was paid by Nokia n not Microsoft. Get those facts too correct

Coriolis Effect ndiyo huamua kama nywele zetu zitamea zikielekea kushoto au kulia ikitegemea kama ulizaliwa kaskazini au kusini mwa Equator. nguvu zake huongezeka unapoondoke Equator…

dont mix up timelines. the purchase of alcatel happened when? the docu is focussed on what timeframe? after nokia sold the phone business they reinbested the cash and Rajiv and team are doing a good job of it

oops…

. In addition, he will receive
roughly $19.9m in stock awards (actual value to be determined), only
30 per cent of which will be paid out by Nokia; Microsoft will cover
the rest.
m.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/19/elop_exit_compensation_package/

I said merger. Ama kisungu shida kwako? Which year was the sale completed so as to enable them reinvest the 5 billion n make 14 billion as you are trying to potray it?

merger buy we know what we are talking about so take a chill pill. when?

This deal worked massively in his favour when he sold the business to
Microsoft, because part of that arrangement saw him given a 18.8 million bonus – something that was a spontaneous renegotiation of his contract on the very day of the acquisition. The excuse that was
provided later was that Stephen needed the money to fund his divorce,

Elop was a trojan horse. dude moves from Microsoft to Nokia, kills symbian and meego Nokia’s OS developers ( though Nokia is to blame here for the OS poor quality) then invites Microsoft to power Nokia phones wifh Windows. Things go sour and Elop comes with this brilliant idea and for that he gets to finance his divorce