The Urvan nv350

Gari ya 2011 bado haijafikia mwananchi wa kawaida. Wacha ije tuijue. If it’s predecessor’s engine is anything to go by, then we’re in for exciting times ahead.

Why wouldn’t you use 7l for matatu?

Turbo fails when you use low quality mineral oils with extended drain intervals. If you forget all I ever told you please remember this: stick to synthetic oils with these 1KD and 2KD engines. Specifically, I’d recommend Total Quartz 9000 drained at 6500-7000km intervals. You may use the same for 1KZ-TE engine or Total Rubia TIR 7400 15w40 drained at 4500-5500km.

Both 1KD & 1KZ take 7l of oil, 2KD takes 6l.

As for brakes, if it’s ‘locking’ you’re referring to which commonly happens after changing the very first rear brake linings, there’s two ways they’re modified to completely get rid of the problem: one is to replace the rear shaft and its braking attachments with that for 5l model. The problem with this is leakage of seals as they’re not a perfect fit, plus the shaft is expensive. Second method is to retain the 7l system as is but modify by replacing some ‘tumabati’ and getting rid of others. Should cost not more than 1k and works perfectly.

3 Likes

Hizo low profile utaendesha wapi? Halafu hiyo Cost Accounting haiingiani.

1 Like

unaeza jaribu kuinua kiasi alafu sio kupimp saaana…
alafu the target customer say wasee wa colle ama mayouth hivi hao unaeza waongezea fare kiasi na watapanda tuu, sema kama nairobi nakuru 600, nairobi thika 150…

1 Like

You lift it you mess the stability. At most you can add one leaf spring (usually, number 2) to the rear in anticipation of loading but to the front I doubt there’s much you can do without messing things up or spending a pretty penny. And all for what? Just so that you can have some spoilers? Not worth it.

From my nascent observations, fares on most peri-urban and long distance routes are stagnant and have been for quite a while. Try charging significantly more and you might have it very rough.

2 Likes

can one get a custom made import with say a certain ground clearance, then about fares like i said you target a certaim clientelle who can pay extra just to travel in that souped up mat like college students

1 Like

Na vile hii gari wanauza bei mbaya thanks for tha info

Low riders? Itahangaika na hizo nundu zimejaa Kwa barabara za Kenya aka speed bumps

Will the 50 bob, or 100 fare difference be worth the hustle, considering high level maintenance is required?

College students utawabeba asubuhi wakienda shule na jioni wakirudi. What happens in the intervening period, will you park the car coz there’s no takers for your higher fares?

Custom built in sure utapata, all that matters is your pocket. Halafu, there’s the ever present risk of buying something whose maintenance may be problematic or whose spare parts may not be readily available locally when need arises.

1 Like

If you don’t scrimp on maintenance, you’re unlikely to suffer any of those problems.

I dont refute that but what about the body getting damaged behind the drivers seat as said

I have a pal who has had his for 3yrs now, plying 500km daily on some extremely hilly terrain (all Tarmac) as a 14-seater matatu. I’m yet to see even a single crack or deformity in that body.