We need to talk about the absurd prices of rent in Nairobi

1st it was Somalis who made rent in Eastleigh to sky rocket. Now we have Nigerians. Mtatii.

SIHAMI RONGAI

One thing the gvt cant do is price control but as someone has said, regulating the supply of houses by eg improving infrastructure n opening up remote areas will surely resolve this problem… But unless we have a president like trump who keeps the interest of his coutry first, shimo itakua ile ile

Willing landlord willing tenant.

The solution is simple, I can’t believe I’ve not read it so far: Public Housing

Nina beshte anaishi 3 bedroom ya 50k Ruaka. The same amount will get you a whole townhouse, 3 bedroom with SQ somewhere in Ruiru and Juja. You might even get one with a basement. Own compound hata you can grill your meat huko nyuma na ni gated estate. Better still, if we both work in town, tutafika same time juu route yake INA jam haziishi. Some people will even pay 50k to live in an SQ somewhere in Lavington. They are okay living in a kennel as long as anaambia watu anaishi Lavington

That is not the solution. The solution is better infrastructure. If all roads in nearby counties were tarmacked, and electricity provided, people would move out of Nairobi for better living standards.

Meanwhile you will find the government tarmacking roads in remote, far flung areas where one motorcycle passes per hour. There are hardly any cars or people yet they have beautiful Chinese built, grade A roads. Na pahali kuna watu wamejazana with many cars, the roads are impassable. Priorities people!

Ever heard of the phrase “when you build they will come?” Those far flung areas are going to explode in opportunities. Murang’a used to be inaccessible until Thika highway brought it closer. We have people who live in Murang’a and who work in the CBD, commuting everyday

No public housing is the best way to bring cheap good quality houses to the poor. As an add on the Government makes the funds it has improve through mortgaging. Nobody else can provide housing for the poor better then the Government. Brazil, Singapore are just examples.
Roads is about logistics, that is a different problem. Also it’s a waste of space and inefficient to spread out a city like Americans do. Everywhere else they try to build compact pedestrian friendly cities.

This is how people fail exams. The thread is about the unreasonable rent prices in Nairobi and how to solve the problem. Not to help the poor access cheap quality housing. Those are two distinct objectives.

Live within your means. Someone asked me the other day how I can pay the rent I pay for my house, when there are way cheaper houses of the same size in other areas. Nilimwambia point blank that what I pay as rent is less than a quarter of my salary. When people agree to live in such overpriced houses, they are not foolish. They know very well that they are paying for peace of mind and convenience. Since I moved into my neighbourhood 4 years ago, I haven’t been mugged or gotten into any disagreements with my neighbours. Live within your means and move into houses for the right reasons.

Good thing exams don’t make billionaires.
However, if Nairobi weren’t the only place to think of when in need of work then demand for housing could have been lower than it currently is. All the while distributed well across all opportunity areas.

Aye, na tano tena hata haijafika a quarter…

Sure, however the fact of the matter is that the rate of rent inflation is outstripping how fast incomes are rising. Today, it’s 1/4 of your salary. Next year it might be one third. Will your salary have increased by that much?

Machungu inaeleweka.

I think I was lucky enough to move into a house whose landlord has a good heart. For the 4 years I’ve stayed here, the rent has remained the same. I don’t plan on being a tenant for long anyway.

Mzito Uhunye said he will build 500k affordable housing in 5 years. Not that it will help much .

Seems you living in the wrong house, it’ probably not meant for more than one person. Pole but I get your point.

Not really though in my house hunt i came across such houses.many of them indeed.I also noted that the exit rate from the houses is high.There will always be a vacant house in such apartments