What makes people from diaspora come back to shithole countries?

Easier said than done.

Dynasties,

Tema hio jaba nanii

:D:D:D

:D:D:D

Nitolee form ya jaba nikupe huyu nanii.
[ATTACH=full]347366[/ATTACH]

I used to see this young gal every morning. She was about 23. She would park her BMW. Anatoka kama amekuvalia uniform ya nursing home for the old. Yes hizi ni kazi nyi usema ya kuosha tuzee mkundu. This is a Kenyan gal aged 23. How many kenyan gals her age own a BMW & am not talking about wale wamepata thru sponsors or prostitution but from clean money or money earned from hard work.

Sijasema mahali that those jobs don’t pay well. So sijui what the source of your argument is. Msichana kama huyo akisave hundreds of thousands of dollars usishangae akirudi Kenya kupandisha flats.

Mimi naona kuna wenye wanakula dry spell mbaya hadi wanakuwa frustrated

When you live abroad there’s a tendency of over romanticizing your country of origin especially during tough moments. For instance when you experience a racist incidence, immediately you start dreaming how life would be much better at home. So you catastrophize everything, at least for me, that’s when I get into the “returnee mood.” Then later on after sobering up some and reading stories how tough life is in Kenya, with a government that passionately hates its own people, I start feeling hesitant in my spirit and say hmm, “maybe the states isn’t so bad after all.” Moreover my spouse is very happy over here, he believes we’ve made it so why start again from scratch. Retiring in your 30s makes no sense because pesa huisha. So now you’ve squandered a golden opportunity to mint money in exchange for golfing and relaxation? In your 30s. Even your kids will never forgive you for being lazy. As the saying goes, “make hay while the sun shines!” I will rest in my grave, not now. Anyway i think it’s important for us to make peace with the fact that the world is fundamentally broken. There’s no perfect place that will bring us continuous peace and perfect happiness. I’m content with where God has placed us and maybe time will tell what was the best decision for our family.

Correction. Life is not tough in Kenya if you are a 1 %'er. In fact, with a million USD or two down here, you can make more money easily than over there because you can bulldoze your way to most business opportunities. Don’t believe everything you watch on CNN. While it is true that most people are suffering here, there is a small fraction that are having the time of their lives because they have enough money to seize ALL business opportunities. What can you do with a million or two over there? Probably not as much as you can over here. Down here, that’s enough money to start a real estate development company as an example. On the other hand, I don’t think that figure would enable you to become a property developer over there due to undercapitalization. There are two versions of Kenyans and so it heavily depends which group you fit into when you return. I can confidently dispel your fears about suffering and tough life if you are returning with $1M+ and a good head on your shoulders. You can choose to remain abroad for other personal reasons, but certainly not suffering in Kenya if you are loaded.

One of those moments we agree entirely.

@Azor Ahai is one of the 1% enjoying Kenya. We can let them keep it.
I will continue to visit as I have been doing. I’m very happy with my life abroad and happiness is all that matters.

Please get your facts right. I am nowhere near that 1% enjoying in Kenya. I don’t pretend to be something I’m not. But I am not oblivious of the fact that they exist because I interact with them frequently, visit their homes and parties.
Cracking the top 1% is where the work is. Once you crack it and secure that wealth nice and tight, suffering unaionea kwa gazeti. You can’t have a million USD+ useme unaogopa suffering in Kenya…the hard part umeshapita. Honestly, I think @Purple you and others have non-monetary reasons of wanting to stay abroad if you have the money. Most likely your families ties over there. Lakini kusema unaogopa suffering in KE with $1M+ doesn’t make sense. But what do I know…

You are a happy wannabe… Here I live off my sweat and loving it.
And I don’t need to have the $1 m you mentioned to be happy.

I’m not a happy wannabe. Wannabe’s pretend to be what they aren’t. I don’t pretend to be an elite member of society because I’m not. I say it as it is. Any man over 18 lives off his sweat so that’s not really an achievement :smiley:

What do you want anyone to make of this if you are not proud of the links to a society you don’t belong in?.. :smiley:

I interact with them frequently, visit their homes and parties.

Here I hold my own parties, bro… my sweat.

I see where you are going with this line of argument. You are pretending that you don’t understand the context of that statement and want this to degenerate into a senseless argument. Pole.

Watu wa majuu wacheni tu niwaambie ukweli kwa ground. Kenya is heaven or hell depending on how much money you return with. If you come back empty-handed bruh/siz utafinywa na life uitane. On the other hand if you return with your bag secured, hakuna kitu kama suffering. You live like a king, cops salute you and call you sir, curfew and other nuisance laws don’t apply to you etc.Two different outcomes depending on your $. So kama umesota, baki tu majuu juu ukirudi utaumia.

During Kibaki’s time I would’ve fully agreed with your assertion. Don’t forget there’s a very contentious election coming up which doesn’t inspire confidence due to echoes of class envy and the possibility of revenge against dynasties, you and I. You may be right but it’s best to make haste slowly in these turbulent times. Kenya has other stressors not just economic ones. Sketchy healthcare, high risk of road accidents, conmen, being frustrated by the govt, lack of order, etc.

True. As I said, you may have other personal reasons. I just wanted to shed some light on the “suffering” misconception you had. Ever wondered why watoto wa senior politicians and wahindi hurudi Kenya after kusomea majuu, instead of kuendelea na life huko majuu? Ever asked yourself why ambassadors wa first-world countries hukwamilia Nairobi?