When Shall We Transition To Be A Manufacturing Economy? Mpaka Peremende Tunaagiza Kutoka China?

[SIZE=7][COLOR=rgb(184, 49, 47)]RED TAPE!![/SIZE]

There was a guy who setup a utensil factory in Mlolongo. He had to close shop due to endless requirements from NEMA, KRA and a bunch of other idiots.

They are also being used for pumping water and irrigation. Can pump 40,000 litres in 1 hr using 1/2 litre fuel.

Unaita muigai konyagi na akili zenyu ni same zimejaa pombe na bangi? Nyani haoni kundule kweli

Hapa umechanganya vitu kadhaa. I guess ni vile paragraphs and bullet points are not your friends.
However uko somewhat almost right.

Lets start with cottage industries. This is an idea which works best in an economy which does not fully embrace free trade. Unapata a womens group forms a society that buys thread to weave some cool head-gears. However the same head gears can be made by a factory at just a fraction of the cost the women are incurring. This means that whatever the cottage industry will ‘invent’ or choose to produce there is always going to be a factory that can do the same at a minimal cost.

The other thing is about potential market or creation of new consumers. I believe a majority of Kenyans dont even know what cheese is or what it is used for. It is a very humongous task to introduce new/ non traditional consumables into a community (let alone that the community is made up of people with minimal purchasing power therefore cant afford to experiment).

The point where you are right is that the govt needs to encourage production for export market. Dollars inflow into the economy is very good. If we export and earn a lot of dollars it means the govt can reduce taxes e.g. on milk production/distribution chain, this enables you to cheaply produce cheese, this further enables you to cheaply distribute your cheese. On other hand your potential customers have extra money and can experiment on cheese and if they like it then you are creating a new consumer base.

Hapo umeongea kama wazee kumi. China and India owe their manufacturing to cottage industries.

@Ndindu I understand your desire to appear smart and progressive on matters of development. Unfortunately, some of your arguments don’t make sense. I suggest that you read “Wealth of Nations” by Adam Smith. Study about absolute and comparative advantages. You will understand why Nations do what they do and why local manufacturing is not a silver bullet to all problems.

During the colonial days, nearly all the milk that was being produced by mzungus in kenya was turned into cheese and butter and exported. That is how New Zealand survives even today. Maybe we can reclaim our cheese export market as kenyans.

Hehe…sijui mushenzi

Lol akili yako ndio bora

Hakuna kitu unasema. As long as continue to export unprocessed goods and import basic commodities such as toothbrushes our people will forever live from hand to mouth

Africa is blessed by the Gods with resource…natural…human…managing it bass…how now?..shenzi kama atwoli bado ni???tuko na upus

As always, hata hujaelewa point yangu. Nimekwambia manufacturing is not a solution to every problem. It is a solution to SOME problems, not ALL problems. Enda usome about absolute and comparative advantages utaelewa more than you know right now.

The same stupid questions over and over again, mtaambiwa mara ngapi our electricity is expensive and the raw material supply is unavailable, plus skilled manufacturing labour is also unavailable and expensive. For instance, I worked for a company building a solar plant in Kenya and the whole management/technical team was Indian, hakuna wakenya skilled enough to even supervise the building of solar plants. Without those critical components we can’t manufacture cheaply, ndindu bonobo want to have his cake and eat it too, anadhani kazi ni kuimport tu

Ni wapi nilisema manufacturing is the Solution to ALL our problems? Ofcourse manufacturring requires access to cheaper electricity, water and youthful educated population. Lakini hakuna mahali nilisema ndio total solution

racism and capital is the problem.

how is this done?

You still haven’t understood what @Azor Ahai has said. Enda usome kuhusu comparative advantage kwanza

The essence of a free market economy is that the consumer has choice. I have the choice to buy chinese candy vs kenyan candy (I don’t even use candy). The decision rests with me, Free market economics is what has proved to be the most efficient to technological progress. Tell us your alternative that has not already failed in the world stage.

Do you want state mandated candy manufacturers? Already you folks are complaining about state tax on petroluem. Mtaweza when the state increases its hold on business?

@BBIsiMuhimu

So you are admitting it’s a govt regulation problem rather than a negro problem? Why don’t you challenge the real issue? No wait, you queued at 4am thrice without thinking about issues critically. That’s your problem negro dindu. Next time, put some research into who you elect, esp mca, governor, mp and senator