When Talkers Watch Too Many Legal Dramas

The Star Newspaper

The family of slain city billionaire Bunty Shah will ask private investigators to find the killers if security bosses do not take prompt action.

They have written to the independent Policing Oversight Authority for a speedy investigation and copied IG Joseph Boinnet and the National Assembly Security Committee chair

The letter was by Ombachi, Moriasi & Company Advocates. It was also copied to politician Irshad Sumra, Vipin Shah, Milan Shah, the Oshwal community chair, the Hindu Council chair, DPP and a human rights commission.

Bunty, the son of the late Bobby Shah of Bobmill Mattresses, was shot at 3 am on Sunday. He was confirmed dead on the way to hospital.

Family sources said the 32-year-old father of one was shot during a police operation to arrest a suspect involved in the Mogadishu bombing.

They said if the departments do not move swiftly within seven days, they will contact private investigators.

The lawyers alleged police admitted the murder was by officers and that it was a case of mistaken identity.

“It was too little too late to apologise because the damage is already done,” the family said in the document.

“We call upon your office to follow up the matter diligently [and] with precision so officers who conducted the unlawful operation can be charged in a court of law.”

The letter further states: "We know and believe police cannot effectively investigate their own and bring them to book.

“We have instructions from the family that should your office fail to carry out satisfactory investigations and bring the officers to book, we shall be compelled to apply to the court for leave to conduct the investigation and conduct private prosecution of the officers found guilty.”

A senior officer at the Anti-Terror Police Unit denied claims their officers were involved.

The source added that officers from the unit were not involved in any operation on Sunday morning.

In-depth interviews conducted by the Star with security operators revealed the bungled operation was conducted and sanctioned by Military Intelligence officers jointly with officers from the National Intelligence Service.

Under section 42 of the Security Amendment laws 2014, NIS is mandated to conduct covert operations in the interest of national security.

It is under this act that NIS officers planned and conducted the raid.

When The Star visited Shah’s home at the junction of Peponi and General Mathenge, there was horrendous damage to property.

The gate was broken but repairs were ongoing.

Kwani pia wewe ulipata D-?

Sijawahi pata, my lowest grade was a B- in Maths.

Providing essential services to wananchi doesn’t give one the right to terrorize them. If I headed an organization that was ranked most corrupt in the country year in year out, I’d be a very miserable person. I’d even resign for failure to do my job right. In Kenya no one gives a fuck. Besides, the police are not as indispensable as they’d like us to believe. When Mikheil Saakashvili became president of Georgia in 2004, their police force was just like Kenya’s, the most corrupt organization in the country.

He ordered them to stop the corruption. Of course they thought it was the usual idle threats. The president started by firing the heads of all police departments. He then turned his focus on the traffic department and warned them of dire consequences if corruption didn’t stop. It didn’t stop. He [SIZE=5]disbanded the entire traffic police department[/SIZE]. Georgia went without traffic police for 3 whole months, while new officers were trained. Any officer who had been caught on camera extorting motorists received a 10 year jail term. Georgia didn’t descend into anarchy in the 3 month period.
The result of these reforms are that Georgia’s police force is now one of the most professional, most trusted and most respected organization in the country.

So anything is possible, we just lack the willpower.

I understand these billionaires are grieving, and are still in the denial stage, but soon, reality will sink in. They’ll have no choice but to accept and move on. If the state decides to push back, it doesn’t matter how much you’re worth, you’ll feel the heat. Ask Nakumatt. The only way they can do their son justice is by maybe starting a foundation or NGO that campaigns against impunity. Starting a vendetta against a corrupt, murderous organization won’t do them any good.
Our problem as a people is that we only take up causes once they affect us directly. That’s why you see the minister for health suddenly giving priority to cancer because he’s a cancer survivor. Or MPs starting to advocate for better facilities in police stations after spending some nights in a police cell. We rarely do things because it’s the right thing. This selfishness makes it hard for others to empathize with us once we get caught up in shit.

Agreed, but don’t assume all of them are corrupt, I know some who have never participated in acts of corruption, but as the Swahili say Nazi mbovu harabu ya mzuri.