Why are most houses in the US made of wood, not mawe?

Termites in the tropics are more lethal, ata uweke oil Kwa mbao zinakula Tu.

Stone in the US far more expensive than wood. Only the rich have stone houses.

So hakuna mjengo guys wa kukoroga kokoto na kuchonga mawe?

https://www.turnerandsonhomes.com/hubfs/framing%20house-2.jpg

sikuhizi hata foundation, walls, roof sinakuanga prefabricated kwa factory, kazi yenyu ni kuconnect on site. Hakuna kungoja nyumba ikauke ndio muendelee. I believe hivo ndo wachina waliunda hosi na 10 days

Hakuna kukoroga ,randy anakuja na hii
[ATTACH=full]324729[/ATTACH]

They treat the wood and also the soil around the construction site with chemicals that repel termites

Saa unatetea hao mikora wenzako?

You walk into any timberyard in any town in Kenya and they will all tell you, “Wachana na mbao. Utatupa pesa. Jaribu MDF za China ama hizi za Uganda!”

Na hizo za “Uganda” in reality ni Timsales Kenya. :D:D:D

Kenya is the land of thugs.

Ati mahogany labda itoke Congo…

And you would need to bribe even the county commisioners and governors themselves to bring a lorryfull of Mahogany to Kenya.

And that is why furniture is so super expensive in Kenya.

Even imported crap made from industrial waste is super expensive e.g you walk into Furniture Palace and a fake timber dining set goes for $1,000. Na hata sio mbao ya ukweli.

Kenia nyumba za mbao na mabati ni za peasants. It all boils down to saving on time and building costs. That explanation about insulation that @Simiyu22 had made doesn’t really make sense. Europe has similar weather patterns but they prefer clay blocks and concrete to wood. How do they insulate their homes?

Americans mostly came from Europe, so why the huge difference in building styles, unless wood is just cheaper than other materials? They’ve kept improving the technology to the point that wooden houses look awesome, but those who have money prefer stone houses.

Those houses also have their disadvantages, kama mould which can be extremely costly to deal with. Alafu roof ikianza kuleak maji iingie ndaaaaaani ya izo ukuta, utaitana.

those are 1000 trees felled to build one house !

Trees there are cultivated plantation style. They grow, you harvest, you plant again etcetera. Thereby you create an industry with thousands of jobs.

Timber housing is just one sector in the U.S timber industry. Enda youtube and look for furniture videos, flooring, doors, boats, even luxury cars that have hardwood panel fixtures.

Swali ingine ni, kwanini kenya bricks hazitumiwi kuunda hao na kupave streets? Nadhania bricks ni cheap huku

Interesting. I’ve noticed hata some countries like australia, new zealand etc build mbao and corrugated mabati houses unlike kenyans who prefer stone, roofing tiles and imported decra.

Kuna architect anaitwa Diebedo Francis Kere wa Burkina Faso, aliunda shule za nguvu sana na matope (bricks) kwa village alizaliwa, pamoja na the villagers hadi akashinda international awards. Tukikua original in some areas of our society tunaeza enda mbali kweli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD23gIlr52Y

Bricks are mostly used in western Kenya for construction. Stones are widely available in other areas.

And let me add humidity to my argument. All in all it’s not just about insulation. That’s just a part. Some places eg Oregon is not advisable to build a stone house due to humidity…mold.

I started to attach links but there’s too many about wood being better for insulation. In fact many comparing wood houses in the US vs stone houses in Europe. Just google.

Continental US is covered by indigenous forest in huge swathes especially the northeast, northwest and down the Midwest. Kupata huko mbao ni kama kupata mawe za Ndarugu in Kiambu county. Carpentry huko is a proper trade ata woodworking classes are offered in high schools optionally and taken by many… Building ‘treasure boxes’ etc. Ata boatmaking. Most houses in addition to the aesthetic and insulation qualities of wood and ease of working on site with tools means houses are built relatively quick, and they have all kinds from hardwoods to softwoods for all kinds of purposes (cabinets, frames, floors, joists, trusses etc)

Maybe its due to lack of exposure.

But pia kuna makiga interlocking soil blocks :

I guess under ordinary circumstances bricks are an extra expense. In Kenya’s case bricks are used as wall cladding, yaani you complete the stone building and then stick the bricks onto the completed wall.

An example is Aga Khan Hospital :

[ATTACH=full]324736[/ATTACH]

But nobody has stopped you from doing a timber house in kenya.

Kali sana! kwanza hiyo ya Aga Khan
Hiyo inovation na originality ya makiga bricks imeblow my mind! Waah!

The point about temperatures is all wrong. It is easier and cheaper to regulate temperature in a stone house compared to a wooden house (basic physics). People prefer timber because it is available in plenty, cheaper, faster to build with, easier to build with, safer during earthquakes, easier to sell on when changing residences (cheap), and finally, there is a cultural attachment to wooden houses.