Why are we letting foreigners run everything tech in Kenya?

We are working to sort it out bro

Personally I experienced SMS Leopard when they started. The guy was very aggressive from the onset and thatā€™s the time short code subscription business was just picking up in Kenya. They were the only sole Safaricom Shortcode provider by then and through the leverage of the big brand they managed to scale up quickly. The secret is in ā€œpresentationsā€ and ā€œselling hopeā€. If your good at putting your numbers right to investors then you will get investment and you exit. Most investors have money but they donā€™t have time to see small figures. If you have any idea that you need to secure investment on just let me know so that I guide you

Usiende mbali, hii ktalk ni ya naniā€¦? :smiley:

[ATTACH=full]287228[/ATTACH]

Lakini kuna a very huge factor hamjaangalia. If you have worked in tech you must know that Kenyan companies favour Business to Business products. Most of these unicorn startups position their products as B2C. It is very easy for any capable techie to build a platform that serves other businesses e.g credit scoring(Metropol, Transunion), building SaaS systems for use in other corporates like CRMs for Saccos. This does not even need lots of creativity but is a safer bet and a lower cost of development than going the B2C way.

Hapo ndio investors come in and with the points highlighted by other talker before come into play. Ultimately in our market I think B2B is more viable for a Kenyan tech entrepreneur than purely B2C approach.

Name innovation made by Kenyans who studied GCSE or CPE.

But most of those white investors are a fraud.like the inventor of safi analytics Kennedy ngangaā€¦we had highlighted this story befoeā€¦

https://www.kenyatalk.com/index.php?threads/founders-getting-kicked-out-of-their-companies.136027/

ā€œInnovationā€ cannot be in the same sentence with ā€œKenyaā€
Build an innovative culture + funding

Cellulant should be number 1.

What makes people afraid of start-ups is market. Kenyans still donā€™t trust online stuff. Wanaona tu pesa zao zitaibiwa. So getting people to actually use your services is hard. Hata hizo apps mentioned, most of them arenā€™t doing any good in Kenya.
Loan apps watu wanakopa na hawatalipa
Taxi apps, very few people use them, mwananchi anajua uber ni pesa mingi.
E-commerce sites are falling. Kilimall siku hizi people donā€™t trust it. Jumia pia inakufa ti polepole cz people have the mentality ā€œacha niende duka nijionee chenye nanunua ndio nitoe pesaā€
Naona only the Millennials na iGen watachange the game not our skeptical Baby Boomer parents

Cellulant was started in 2004. I fucking get pissed off when someone calls it a startup.

Just for context someone who was born when cellulant was started is about to clear high school. Mwache jokes tafadhali. It is a successful tech business but no a startup as they like to peddle

yo we havenā€™t invented the wheel yet !!
we reach there some day
necessity is the mother of all invention

why invent a phone when you can use a smoke signal.
why invent a wheel when you can walk.
why invent a chain saw we can use mad to build
why build a swimming pool when I can swim at the river.
why invent spoon and dishes ā€¦
why invent ā€¦ at all ?

How have you helped? Practical remedy perhaps? What is your success other than pointing fingers and whining?

i usually consider kenyan or african owned products before i even look at foreign things ā€¦for example , i support KEROCHE 100% , i buy kenyan soaps . basically i always try to support fellow kenyans where possible ā€¦ i also shop at kenyan supermarkets ā€¦ time ya elections , i support leaders on merrit and note tribe ā€¦

So who had merit the last time we voted? Gubernatorial and presidential

i was against uhuruto and jubilee as a whole ā€¦

Those with money invest in real estate. Pesa inakunywa maji huko

This is very true. I have also seen it happen in this town

Who do you expect to fund Kenyan startups? Locally? Local self proclaimed billionaires would rather stash their ill gotten wealth in cayman and the likes. They are more like people who donā€™t know what to do with their money.

True. Heri wacleanup that cash with local investments tu. Worst case scenario several Kenyans are employed and the economy gets a boost