World's First Malaria Vaccination

sikuliwangi na mosquitoes. watoe kitu kidogo niwapee sample. True story

That vaccine has been undergoing various extensive phases of trials since 2009 with our Kemri Kilifi being part of the team conducting. I know because my first work after campus I was assigned to one of the principal investigators on that project.

The mosquito has been on earth for hundreds of millions of years more than we have. A vaccine won’t be enough, the plasmodium protozoa will just evolve even more quickly. We need to find ways to control the population of mosquitoes.

Hmmmm… don’t you think the scientist who are smart enough to come up with a vaccine know a little more about evolution of microbiota than you? I mean… I’m sure they attended parasitology classes before working on a research project in microbiology???

Stop trying to sneak in an ad hominem attack and make your point already. Bacteria also have a vast array of antibiotics to fight against, do you see them halting their evolution? Go get a book about evolution then rudi tuongee.

I’m not saying parasites don’t evolve I’m just highlighting the fact that since they have studied microbiology, then for them to go forward with the vaccine means that they have taken evolution into account.
FYI I’m fairly confident that I know much more about evolution than you think.

You can’t stop evolution, you can only control it, albeit poorly by selective breeding. Testing the vaccine will only reveal the parasites endurance. But as long as mosquitoes roam free, the parasite will always be there and since it has a 100 million year head start, it can change in ways scientists haven’t even imagined yet. Why do you think a hiv vaccine is so hard to get?

Who said the vaccines stop evolution??
You do realize there are over 40 other vaccines for example the ones that you were vaccinated at birth. Just because they haven’t come up with HIV vaccine doesn’t mean all other vaccines don’t work.
Let me use a lay man’s example for example we have a very effective hepatitis B vaccine…does it mean Hep virus doesn’t undergo evolution?

Hepatitis b has a different infection rate. Some people with hiv it also have it, they are very different in how they attack the body. Plus malaria is so prevalent because of the widespread distribution of mosquitoes, as long as they are alive, the disease will be there as the parasite will be free to evolve.

I guess you are saying the efforts to eliminate malaria should focus on mosquitos rather than the vaccine…I get your point but learn to articulate your ideas in a clear way…
on that note maybe as microbiologists maybe that’s why they felt they could help alleviate the Malaria by coming up with a vaccine. There has been various experimental finding that implicates DDT (chemical used for extermination of mosquitos)as a carcinogenic agent that’s why vaccine makes sense at this point in time. Maybe in future a safer chemical will be available for use in extermination of mosquitos but till then vaccines are the best option.
But if you have something in mind you can come up with a proposal and seek funding… all ideas are welcomed.

Are you kidding? Learn to understand complex ideas, that was my original post on mosquito population control which completely flew over your head because you decided to focus on smth else. And scientists have tried it with breeding different species that don’t carry that particular parasite with little success though.

Any third party following the argument can understand that you don’t know how to articulate your ideas… There’s nothing complex about mosquitos if you’ve studied microbiology…and suppose this idea is " complex" as you claim then you should be able to elaborate it to a primary school pupil. If you can’t then you don’t know the subject matter as you think…even Einstein was able to explain the theory of relativity to politicians and an uneducated public,
And trust me… microbiology does not come close to the complexity of theory of relativity…at least to the public…

I haven’t studied microbiology and there’s nowhere I implied that in my arguments. You are still missing the whole point by focusing on me. Microbiology and relativity aren’t mutually exclusive in complexity, some people just prefer one to the other.

Who were the test studies did they consent to the studies and what are the long term implications of the vaccines?
I believe in replicating success, malaria was eradicated by insecticide and even today in the US, when the west-nile virus threatens, the entire area is sprayed and the mosquitoes disappear.

Off course consent was done, you cant conduct such large scale vaccine tests without consent in Kenya. As for the other questions, you have asked I cant answer that. mine was specific to if trials were conducted

Link?
I’m well aware of certain trial drugs used in malindi on unsuspecting malaria patients.
But the real question is do we really need drugs or should we eradicating the mosquito?