Young Kenyans/Africans Can Own the Future..........Here's Why....

Our identity must never be eroded. While i agree that the use of English is crucial for transactions, our identity is important for posterity. Its like loosing ur name. The most comical sight is a modern socialite trying to talk to her two year old in english and making the worst errors in gramma since Elizabeth1. In a matatu mark you, while trying to sound all learned and crap. Just today nikikula lunch somewhere, a lady told her son …"have you went for washing hands dadiii. " i bit on my phone not to scream

3 Likes

Guka, you are aging gracefully. If only we had several gukas like you to guide us.
I beg you, my sage, to allow me to offer a different perspective on the second point.
Language, being an important aspect of human life, should never be taken for granted the way black people have done since the invasion by arabs and europoids. We use hard foreign languages to learn equally, if not more, hard but important subjects such as maths and science. To the few here who are forever ‘osungu-ing’, the foreign languages may be a walk in the park but it’s not the case for more than 99% of the population. This translates to the said subjects becoming difficult to understand thus impending our progress. It would be wise if we did away with our current vernacular languages and adopt a single language such as Swahili or maybe English (YES, english I said, after all we have lost everything about us; be it culture, names, religion,etc, and as such letting go languages that we don’t teach our children shouldn’t be a big deal) which should be made our mother tongue, official, and national language. Business people should be let to open language and cultural institutions for those who wish to learn about whichever local language(s) and the available scraps of our culture. The fact that we still use our local languages which aren’t neither official nor national makes us less interested in them, therefore, doing little to none study/research about them and having a false sense of our cultures being intact. Using one’s mother tongue makes learning easier, if not more interesting, and that’s why many countries save for those in sub Sahara africa are pushing for it. Some end up splitting, case in point european countries. Adoption of a single language happened and succeded in the Americas

1 Like

It’s a noble idea but given the nature of our politics it would result in disaster

I think we have let our weaknesses let us compromise on our new strides for long, we need to move! and what would it result in anyway?

We don’t have any identity to protect apart from our black skins and kinky hair and we may soon lose that through bleaching our skins and ‘kaangaing’ our hair, or even the ‘better’ obsession of pointie kids. we are just living in denial. Majority of us are going that lady’s way and you can be certain that in all major towns in kenya majority of kids below 15 can only converse in english or engsh/whatever

Spreading and deepening of tribal animosity especially in those counties occupied by more than one tribe.

kumbe guka hata kama chuma haijisimamishi without props bado kuna kitu between the ears.
nakuombea mungu wako akuongeze miaka kaa mbao hivi

1 Like

While i agree on the part of religion and culture, I will disagree about language.

The problem with the sub saharan languages (BLACKMAN’S LANGUAGES) is that none has an alphabet or a writing system. Secondly, none has a number system. most are spoken within small groups and there are hundreds of languages and dialects here in kenya alone. kiswahili is very much foreign. Finally, most are narrow and you would have to expand them to make any practical and economic sense especially in technology. I wouldnt want to be forced to use kikuyu or dholuo in school if I come from a minority community.

Unfortunately, the black man never developed a system for making records and never made or seek to use the WHEEL for some mysterious reason.

1 Like

Children should learn their languages for cultural attachment alone. However, if I am a somali, my language does not make any economic or practical sense to a kikuyu or a kipsigis especally if we do business or have common law and common government. it would be utter chaos.

I agree with you on this one. People forget that chinese language is uniform for most part aand most speak han. Secondly, these languages have an alphabet and a number system

Language is for socialization. If there are people who love speaking their language must be Somalis. All my Somali friends speak it anywhere anytime. Apparently, it has never bothered me. My Luo friends speak it comfortably and nowadays i have learnt some words here and there likewise with them, they speak broken Kikuyu courtesy of me.
Main thing is to let this tribalism thing not hit your mind, like i wonder how i can be bothered with people speaking Luo yet am a die-hard fan of Gor Mahia. People should outgrow tribalism, my speaking Kikuyu has nothing to do with tribalism as much as am doing it socially and without any ill motive.

1 Like

Imagine the situation in multicultural counties.

2 Likes

So you are suggesting I learn the forty two languages + dialects in kenya. That we write 50 copies of the constitution in different language to just gratify pride.
Africans are too proud and admire themselves too much for no tangible reason. And I think thats why they dont get anywhere because they cant learn from anyone.

Some people here are living in Utopia where there is harmony everywhere, there is a whole profession like architecture or mechanical engineering written in marakwet as well as in kikuyu,…and so on. And the people of this utopia are actually living together in harmony so that a judge trained in kikuyu presides over a case where the counsel for one side is trained in dholuo and the counsel for the other side is trained in turkana.
That is Utopia

ujinga yako ni kipawa.

Sema huna jibu.

1 Like

At least am tired for the day and i can reply,
Jibu ni, i am very picky in semantics. You lost it when you missed my comment on language of catchment area.
Or maybe we are talking from very different perspectives of life.
I insist, language is a tool for both communication and socialization. You cannot equate language with tribalism. NEVER.

1 Like