Jiggers In Nyanza (Warning: Graphic photos)

I had jiggers when I was a toddler! I had one when I was in std 7. And I remember, despite the indignity, the sweet sensation one feels when you scratch that spot. Of course that’s when the thing is in the early stages of development.

3 Likes

Man that is sad

i knew you had to ask this, as chubilee comander you are doing great. keep it up.

1 Like

I had one too when i visited shags when young but one thing i remember usiku you couldnt sleep and yes ziko all over the country but hio imezidi hadi kwa knees na shoulders? Thats serious considering they survive on blood that guy has a very short life span ahead of him if help wont reach him in time and the secret to these dudus is to remove the first one because they multiply and spread fast

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/37944440.jpg

3 Likes

I feel so sad for these poor people.

2 Likes

as Kenyans one family what can we do about it?

In an ideal situation, public health officers should team up with area provincial admins to identify and assist these fellows.

3 Likes

lakini si hii nikuwa very irresponsible on their part…basic hygiene na ngoa hizo za kwanza so they dont spread…kama ni mtoto ama chokora naweza elewa lakini a grown up man hapana

1 Like

Zinaweza kuwa curse.kuna jamaa akiwa na wenzake walikamua baba yake kwa mkia kama wanamuibia usiku na kumuua baba yake alikuwa ame retire kutoka kwa kanjo,walikuwa wanafikiria ako na pesa.jamaa hakupelekwa mahali,kukaa kidogo zile jiggers zilimupata mpaka kwa sehemu nyeti ndizo zilimua

1 Like

Focus more on educating each other instead of always giving handouts. This past Wednesday, I attended the funeral of a 2-month-old. The poor mother could’ve saved her baby’s life if she knew CPR for children. I always assumed that women were taught these things after birth (during recovery or whatevs) but it turns out they’re taught very basic stuff that is LITERALLY useless.

If First Aid and CPR aren’t common knowledge, how can we expect people to know how to a avoid/fight this type of thing? :frowning:

Also, once we stop making this type of thing a tribal and political thing, maybe we’ll be able to focus on solutions better. Ain’t gonna lie, I been looking at this post with the most massive side-eye because I don’t understand why we had to focus on the fact that the victim comes from Nyanza.

1 Like

there are some basic lifeskills every child should be taught at the right time:
reading and writing
first aid
basic hygiene
driving and riding
swimming
safe/proper annoying personal waste disposal
safe and good sexing (for the sake of transformers and family harmony in future)
responsibility to self, family and community

4 Likes

@gashwin those should be taught but they aren’t. That was my point. Some things seem like they should be common knowledge but they aren’t.

Also, I seem to remember a thread posted this week about hand-washing … a whole bunch of the sentiments expressed there indicate that even users on this forum have NO idea how personal hygiene works.

3 Likes

he he he,hey bitch,wanna have some?

eew go away already

I grew up in Makueni. All my life time these things I see in media.

I guess they are not in that locality.

Awful…just awful

The school curriculum ought to include such skills. Professionals can also be invited to schools to teach kids by demonstration how to go about first aid, hygiene and related skills. Starting from the bottom will help eliminate such hurdles in health.

1 Like

How do you feel happy when scratching a jigger?

1 Like

Hard to explain. It is an irresistibly itchy sensation and you keep scratching until it is sort of painful! You would not know it’s a jigger if it’s your first time.

1 Like