Before the US started harassing Huawei, there was Toshiba of Japan and Alstom of France in the same boat

As long as we keep waiting for the next Moses Kuria to rescue us at the ballot, we are still decades away from even minimal industrialization.

This will happen after several generations.

You must be an old geezer haujui what these under 21s are upto. Hakuna cha several generations coz of AI, internet and 3D printing we can be manufacturing our own hi-tech within 10-15yrs. What we need is political goodwill and a leader with the vision and mettle of Kagame to kickstart a tech revolution. Uhuru had the goodwill and pedigree to inspire us into tech utopia but this dirunk mama’s boy done squandered the opportunity. We have to believe in ourselves more and invest in science & tech the wealth will follow. Look at China ans S. Korea man, just a generation ago were starving peasants and now they are giving Americas the shakes

I agree with you.

But the African leaders from MP’s, CS, etc. care only about themselves and how much they can steal.

What you fail to see is that despite being in the information age the Kenyan voter’s mentality has never changed. These guys you are praising will still vote in the same politicians in 2022.
Many youths are still tribal when prompted by politicians they are willing to kill.
Have the current youths started to hate corruption and the corrupt?No.

Not in our lifetimes. The African mind is too conservative and too steeped in missonary thinking ways to ever reach that level.

hii ni open and shut case. Hakuna kitu ya kuongea hapa. You are deep in the cold war and then a greedy company in an ally nation gives the enemy technology that will help the enemy creep up on you quietly and blow you off the face of the map… hii hata sio greed, I would look at Japan with another lense: Are you guys with us or with them?!

And apparently it is not known what else Toshiba sold to Russia. Na technology zingine ni tender walipewa direct na U.S. govt.

Mnapewa kisha mnapatia enemy… they are lucky that they are still in business today. Very lucky. Because they are also the enemy of Japan.

Ni kama Chandaria ama Kirubi or a Ugandan manufacturing billionaire akiuzia Al Shabaab technology that will give them an edge against KDF. Hapo ni kurudisha jamaa India. We have bought your tissue paper all these years halafu you betray Kenya like that?

In China’s case the U.S. sells you microchips, under agreement that you don’t resell to a country under U.S. sanctions… then you immediately resell them to Iran kutuonesha vile mnadharau U.S.

Oooo okay. Mmekuwa matajiri on our backs, sasa ni maringo? You are untouchable. You copy paste American technology bila kwuulizwa swali and now you have the guts to even sell it to American enemies.

America mta do?!

I have even heard that the Kenya govt. would like to work closely with Iran, the same Iran that orchestrated the 1998 bomb blast.
But anyway this is Kenya we are not known for our morals. We love money more.

We still respect British people and institutions more than our own Kenyans. Even in a hotel as a Kenyan waiter you will bend over backwards for a Briton, because he has money. Abdallah Kinuthia na Gichunge, na Salim Mutua na Abdouba Omariba wako Somalia saa hii training to kill fellow Kenyans because of money. Zero patriotism.

Na ukipewa kazi na Uhuru mwenyewe you actually end up robbing NYS like a bank robber. You have zero love or respect for your nation.

It’s the same in Kenya, as with Huawei, as with Toshiba: Money first!! Hio ingine ni by the way. Rules are for losers.

The US has met its match in China. Huawei is not only a network equipment manufacturer but smartphone manufacturer. Last year, its revenues clicked 100b usd, outside of US market. In addition, its firmly ahead in the race to spearhead 5G rollout. The US is trying to play child games with China, by using its soft power to deter other countries(allies) from adopting huaweis 5G. But its, too late. The ship has already left the shore but the US is trying to stop it from gaining momentum, which is a fruitless deed indeed. US hegemony is finally over.

I

[quote=“GERALD9949, post:18, topic:183848”]

almost wiped out humanity in 1983!!
[/QUOTE
This can was can and will never happen until God himself who created humanity desides to do so[/QUOTE]

I make a smartphone. I do research for years. I have to pay all the people involved in the research. I have to pay govt. taxes and taxes allowing me to sell in other countries.

Then you, you see my product and the way it is selling well. Fuck it you copy paste it. Because you don’t need to pay for research or patents you just sell it cheap and undercut me completely. All the money is going to your pockets.

You even become richer than me. So what happens the day I throw in the towel on mobile phones and leave them to you?

Will you further the technlogy? Nope.

You don’t know how. Your interest was profit.

Will you follow me for the rest of your life trying to find out what I’m making next so you can copy paste? Yep.

JVC

Nonsense, this is human nature. After world II, US and former USSR went on a poaching spree for nazi scientists. Most aircraft manufactured by US and USSR post world war II were greatly influenced by Nazi technology. What’s my point? Poaching another’s superior technology is at the heart of human nature. This has been happening throughout human history. There is absolutely nothing wrong with china playing this game. In fact, the biggest beneficiary is the human race as a whole. Just step back a little bit, and try to remove china from the equation, how would the world be now? What would be the cost of smartphone? How far behind we would be without china’s input to technology world. China is a necessary evil. It has helped to transform the world in unimaginable ways, which in hind sight, future generations will thank them for the critical role they have played in transforming the world.

US has many ‘Huawei’ equivalent companies, including Cisco. It is their fault that they’ve allowed Huawei to outpace them in advancements.
Now they are trying to buy time for their companies to catch up, by slowing down Huawei’s market especially in Europe.
Good thing UK is about to show them the middle finger.

The US is a bully, plain and simple. This has 100% nothing to do with security.

Huawei will remain a smartphone manufacturer. On the 5G vendor part, the US is making sure that everyone EXCEPT Huawei succeeds.
Last I checked, the EU is in the process of having common ground on purging Huawei and Huawei is locked out of North America and soon, even the strong links Huawei had established in South America, especially in Brazil will fray if their telcos may face sanctions from the US for using Huawei equipment.Even here, I do not expect Vodafone to go forward with Huawei even though we did a 5G trial with them and if Vodafone(which owns part of Vodacom and Safaricom) is not involved, then most of Africa is not going to engage Huawei.
So apart from Asia(China, South East Asia and possibly India), Huawei is going to lose every other market on the planet when it comes to 5G equipment.

Last I checked the US does not engage in censorship or the arresting and harvesting of organs of those who speak against the Government.Otherwise there would be no Democrats right now.
China does EXACTLY that. And they use companies like Huawei to do so. Like I have said before.Take a Huawei phone and try to discuss Tianmenn Square, the history of Tibet and other sensitive topics on Chinese platforms and see. The phone reboots and sends your data to China.So do ZTE phones. Even Samsung does not send Kenyan data to South Korea, it is sent to South Africa and the Government there cannot seize Samsung’s servers. In China, they do it daily.
The UK will cave in the moment Trump decides to refuse a free trade deal with a post Brexit UK if they decide to keep Huawei in their networks. And the UK is alone on that issue. Germany and France(basically, the EU) have made the decision to purge Huawei. Meaning automatically, there will be no Huawei in the world’s largest economic bloc. I

No amount of good politics can make us manufacture ‘hi-tech’ in 10-15 years. Not on a large scale at least.
There is so much that goes into it, and it has taken the US close to 100 years to get where they are.

1. The US has had millions of scientists over the years. Kenya probably has a few thousands.

2. The training in the US is top notch. Here in Kenya, universities are just money minting organizations.

3. We need a strong venture capital system. That’s how Silicon Valley became what it is. But here the rich are only interested in malls and real estate.

4. We need a big domestic market, with a strong purchasing power. That’s how local companies become big and acquire the might to compete internationally. Right now we’re EAC is still a dream, and even then, the locals are extremely poor.

5. We are a late mover, and therefore will remain under the mercies of the big countries. Eg. US can easily put restrictions on our products.

6. It’s simply not part of our culture. For a country to build a habit, it takes centuries. The vast majority of Kenyans are not innovative or entrepreneurial. The US patent office has issued over 10 million patents since early 1800s. Here in Kenya, I doubt we’ve issued 10,000.
    Countries like Germany and Japan have been decimated in world wars, and are back on their feet in just a few years. That drive to succeed is part of their dna.

China is a necessary evil. That’s a good one.

Because of their cheap merchandise Mr. Mindhunter that’s why you can’t manufacture anything any more. You can’t make a thermos, a teacup etc.

You graduate from Jkuat or UoN with your nice engineering degree but end up slapping matatu bodies because there are no jobs.

If you try and make that phone in Kenya, you can’t compete with a cheap Chinese phone. No one will buy your phone.

And China doesn’t just steal from America or steal Iphones only… smartphones are a drop in a vast ocean.

China copy pastes millions of products. Everything that can be manufactured on earth, China has stolen it.

And they steal from everyone. And then dump their cheap merchandise in every country killing almost all industries there.

Wewe fanya research leo come up with some new fancy gizmo, utashangaa ukiiona Gikomba kesho imported from China. Hutajua ilifika aje huko ama waliibia wapi. Labda uliwacha laptop yako online in some public network.

These guys even plant backdoors in university networks. Waone ni nini mnafanya huko.

You design a shoe it’s gone. You design a bag its gone. You design a battery it’s gone. China copy pastes everything. If they could, then they could even copy paste and sell you air.

There’s a Jewish kid who thought he’d make millions with a fancy smartphone tripod. Akaingia kickstarter, he went to angel investors. He was all set to make billions with his invention. Alienda holiday sijui ni Tel Aviv ama Australia mjamaa anakuta tripod yake ikiuzwa on the street for $10. Made in China. Iko na hadi ile jina alikuwa ameibandika.

To say he was disappointed is a serious understatement. And he is not alone. Many other inventors have lost billions to China.

You cant manufacture when there is no market. Huawei can sell smartphones, but if the largest markets do not want their 5G equipment, they will be out of business in this sector.

What do you think the NSA does. And what do you think they do with the information they get illegally spying on their citizens. The US mainstream media is under government control. They keep us busy with stupid Trump news, while the organs make sure real news is not reported.
At least China is open with their censorship.

And you’re just an alarmist spreading bs. I have a Huawei phone and I’ve just Googled Tianmenn Square and Tibet. The phone has not rebooted.

The US is only afraid because they can’t control Huawei.
They have Samsung by the balls, and can summon South Korea for any data they need.
You’re naive to think that China does it but US does not. US has a very public entity, NSA, that does exactly that.

This is literally NSA’s job description, according to Wikipedia. And guys like Snowden have confirmed it.

''The NSA is responsible for global monitoring, collection, and processing of information and data for foreign and domestic intelligence and counterintelligence purposes, specializing in a discipline known as signals intelligence (SIGINT). "

In this game, China is playing catch up and US is angry they have a competitor.