Blood Group O Negative. Question.

Never heard of a blood type conferring a special advantage. Unless we didn’t comprehend your question.

1 Like

Those who took biology in high school, this was somewhere in form 3 or 4: hemolytic disease of the new born.

1 Like

:slight_smile: was just playing…i know

Exactly doc, congrats on the new title.

Thank you.

:D:):slight_smile: It’s the original poster of the thread whose intentions in not quite sure of.

I think having just any blood type is a pretty big advantage! But of course there are certain limits to some blood types and not others, so here is your answer:
I hope the link works well so you can see the picture. Having blood type AB positive is lucky, because if you need blood transfusion ANY person can give to you. But if you as AB positive are looking to donate blood then recipients are limited to only AB positive themselves and no other blood type.
If you’re O negative (like me) then you’re screwed (especially in Africa where only 0.3 percent have this blood type) because if you need a blood transfusion then it HAS to be one with O negative themselves. (Please note that ‘rhesus’ is implied when I say negative and positive.) Donating blood as O negative is very good and it’s a blood type that is very sort after because no other blood type will work in a person with O negative blood type. In Kenya the different blood donation organisations and hospitals keep a register of O negative people so they are able to call up one of these persons to come and donate it needed. That’s how rare this type is. I met one doctor here who said I was only the second patient in all his time as a doctor with O negative blood type.

For a more technical explanation then what happens is that certain proteins are swimming around in our blood. AB postive people have the full spectre of possible blood type-defining proteins whereas O negative people only have a limit number of these proteins. When foreign blood is introduced it needs to match the protein composition. AB positives can take any blood type because they already have copies of all the proteins so no new ‘foreign’ looking protein there. O negative has a limited number and any other blood type introduced into O negative blood will bring with it unknown proteins that the white blood cells in O negative blood will attack because it thinks they are bad vira or bacteria that needs to be eliminated. Thus, the new, foreign blood did no good whatsoever in the body of a O negative person!

Please consult the diagram to see you blood type. One side is your blood type as recipient, other side is as donor and who you can give to.

My personal advice: DONATE BLOOD! I know the system is kinda rigid in Kenya atm, but if everyone gave blood once in a while then the blood banks would be able to always have enough blood in store, and the rule of having to go around the ward and finding potential donors before your wife goes and have a C-section would be obsolete = peace of mind to those who are already stressing about dangerous operations for loved ones!!
https://goo.gl/images/eUMdSA

3 Likes

True but keep in mind that (universal recipient) only applies to red cells. People with AB positive blood type who need plasma transfusions can only get from a fellow AB+/- person.

1 Like

That is true! Blood transfusions and ORGAN TRANSPLANTS are completely different in this match-question. For body part transplants (and plasma transfusions, which is similar to the method of blood transfusion so you might be confused when they plug in the needle) there needs to be a plasma match, a plasma donor-match.

1 Like

If you guys are interested then have a look at a new project I am starting: We provide healthcare in low-income areas, making it accessible to EVYERONE and not only those who can afford it! Check it out if you guys wish to see a change in healthcare in Kenya (who doesn’t?): https://www.kenyatalk.com/index.php?threads/healthcare-in-low-income-areas-new-clinic.42848/

1 Like

Are you a nurse? Medic?

Medical student but that’s unfortunately on hold here in kenya because KNEC shines bright by it’s inability to equate my foreign result slip fairly (despite they have a whole office dedicated to the task) - Now it’s all about providing healthcare to people who otherwise can’t afford it.

Which university/medical school did you attend?

Puffffff! Smack in my face…nice explanation…the picture does not load for one…what about O positive

O positive can only receive from O negative and O positive (sorry, but your next-screwed after O negative), and can donate to all positives in each blood type group (that’s O+ B+ A+ and AB+)

1 Like