Do you regret going to collage/uni and/or not getting a chance to get to college/uni?

Wooi I don’t think this is beneficial to some of our young kids these days. I was invited to speak at some East African Young students event last year. I met quite a number of Kenyans …freshers all with double barreled(sp) surnames…the ones you read in the papers and watch in the news aka civil servant parents. I have written about it here a few times.
Sasa the poor dears are in 2nd year now. Yesterday the Chairman of that group told me half of the ones I met have gone back home because they could not cope with the loneliness, isolation and of course cooking/cleaning for themselves. Wameingia Strathmore Uni and are happy again living with the ‘bank of mum and dad’. Others have taken to the party life like fish to water and are partying like it is the 4th of July in Murika everyday. And being hit by retakes after retakes.:mad::mad:Afadhali, they go back home coz here watakutana na LGBT folk and hard drug pushers.

Only the v strong ones have remained…

I started my side hustles in second year…going to classes was extremely boring and pointless to me then…to make matters worse the course was Engineering UoN…tough and classes sometimes were 8am to 6pm…but mwakenya/cheating used to help me alot…
I got FR (repeat) in fourth year…took a break instead of repeating 4th year nikachapa hustles vizuri for two years…when I went back I requested nifanye units nilifail as supplimentary exams instead of doing the whole year nikakubaliwa…that was game changer otherwise singemaliza shule.
Went back to do final year while still doing my hustles …got out with a bad result but right now the Certificate is in my bedroom cupboard sijawai tumia.

Just a small question. Are mzungus better at teaching?

Me I wish I could have dropped off school FORM 3 niingie juakali Kibaki era.

Everyone runs his own race, i was in form 1 2010 .

Mmmmh I would not exactly say so. We have tutors from across the globe and I would say hand on heart the system is fair at that point coz one is adult enough to sue them. That is at Uni level.

But if you ask me about our ethnic minority children in primary/secondary schools under the care of white teachers… I will say a big resounding no. They treat our kids differently. The teachers are mainly white, the admin and dinner ladies are mainly white get the drift. But the onus is on the parent to educate their child at home and tell them to toe the line and grab all the immense opportunities provided by the system. This is how we beat them.
For instance… I live near the famous Guys and St Thomas medical school. When I look thru my window as medical students walk to the classes…I see 80% Asians and Chinese, 10% whites, and 2% blacks. We got to empower our children. Ni hayo tuu kwa sasa.

He he he. Far from it. Actually live in Kenya.

Couldn’t say it better. Kufungua akili is why unis exist.

It is not whether Bazungus is better…It is actually the fact facilities are up to date and updated constantly.
I was in Uni back home before I got here to further my studies and what amazed me is that books are updated yearly such that the data quoted are current. In many cases, you could not depend on used books from last year because a new chapter may have been added from this year, and the numbers in last year’s books have been updated to current. Partly, this is a money-making mechanism by the publishers, but to the student, you are benefiting from using current data and information. In UoN, most of our textbooks were 10 years or older…

A Very common practical problem…:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

[ATTACH=full]288359[/ATTACH]

I answered his question 2 ways. From grad level and from primary/secondary level. It was a vague question after all.
We may have free top notch education, all the tech, books yaaani their schools are like 5 star hotels and everything is free…BUT we have to teach our children to ignore institutional racism which is embedded in our education system!!!. For instance when our black child does anything, it is amplified by dishing multiple detentions that a white kid can get away with do not do this again. If there is fight between white kids kwa playground…the teachers run to intervene. When our black kids fight they do NOT step in.

Tukijoin campus, my adu a nyuba friend aliamua kuingia juakali.He moved gradually and did all manner of business. By the time we were through the guy had made significant milestone.I met him in a posh surbub last week and we had a very intense discussion. He basically lobby’s for huge government tenders in road construction, street light projects,real estate etc.

I’ve always wished kutoka hii nchi niende kuanzisha life afresh majuu. But based on my personal assessment the last few years, I’ve realized America is not for the faint at heart. You have to work tirelessly hard, you need to have an exceptional work ethic and generally a whole shift in mindset of how you do things both at home, work and/school. Life is definitely expensive and things move at a faster pace and if one is not careful they will drown in debts, joblessness and eventually homelessness. Couple this with the subtle or the not so subtle racism that you are bound to face and the need to consistently prove yourself to your white peers apo ndio unakam tu kurealize one needs to really think long and hard about settling there kabla wacommit.

Sorry for the rant. I just fell like throwing it out there.

I agree. But at the same time you have to teach the kids NOT to play victims all the time. Racism is already institutionalized.
You cannot change it most of the time, but must learn how to live with it while thriving and achieving your dream.
As a Luo, I grew up in the tribal Kenya where some tribes have a leg up. When I came to the US, most Kikuyus in
my college were on some kind of scholarship from home. I had to work and pay my way instead…

America is great if you have papers. Lakini ukifanya kazi ya mkono utateseka sana huko.

Try and read my responses on this thread…this time sroooooooray. Oki? you are saying the same thing I did and remove the Kyuk angle from it. Some of the kids I met that have gone back home are not Kyuks.

America is the land of opportunities as far as I am concerned where millineals are involved. I tell ya. If you are able to stay on the right side of the law, work hard, study hard mmmmmh the world is your oyster. Oh and ignore Trump and his stupidity. Kikikiki
Try it and if it does not work rudi Kenya.

Very true and valid assessment.

That’s the main way watu jamu wana survive then brag about success…cooked up success based on tenderprenuaring.

I did an engineering degree though the work I do is somehow unrelated. But I cherish my years in college 'cause it opened up my mind.