head gasket - for toyota

Trust me. I owned a car (RAV 4) with 1AZ engine. In April last year, it started this overheating nonsense and “burned” gasket and deformed cylinder head to require “grinding” to smoothen it. It cost me 90k to get that done. I was made to believe the engine goes for 150k. One month later the car stalled on the road at night. Reason? … Cylinder head has deformed again! The following morning, I left the car on the side of the road and headed to Kirinyaga road armed with 150k. To my horror, 1AZ engines were going for between 30 and 35k. Needless to say, I bought one at 28k, sold the old one as scrap for 2k and sold the car shortly thereafter working like new - for almost the same price I had bought it when new.

5 Likes

So, as long as I haven’t noticed these signs despite the mileage being above the recommended, that means niko sawa?

No,kwa Toyota zingine it’s stamped kwa block ama sticker kwa engine recommending change at every 100k Kms. You shouldn’t ignore that

How much does this “grinding to smoothen” cost.

Am asking that because the sticker on my car reads 100K, na niko 102kms, na sijaskia sauti yoyote or anything abnormal. Na sitaki kutumia pesa njaa-nuary [SIZE=1](ok, sina pesa)[/SIZE]

Vile umeambiwa hapo juu.
Halafu Toyotas mostly use timing belts so you won’t notice the filings. Nissan ndio hupenda chain. Follow manufacturer’s recommendations on replacement intervals.

Where on kirinyaga road? Do you have their contacts

What is the worst that can happen if not replaced? Yangu ni chain.

If chain snaps, cam shaft stops spinning. Piston strikes open valves. Engine damage. You cry. Mechanic kamuas you HKM.

4 Likes

Sijashika lakini wacha nitafute pesa mbasi niiweke before makanika kamuas me HKM with a dirty apron sleeve as the CD, and used grease as the lube.

5 Likes

That figure is very realistic. One of these days hebu ulizia usikie (ongeza engine ya probox hapo).

However, there’s one aspect you’re missing: labor costs and time.

1 Like

Most timing chains will never need replacement (as opposed to timing belt). They’re made to last the lifetime of the engine. However, if you get noises which you think are due to it, tafuta mech ako na stethoscope.

3 Likes

100k ni timing belt, sio chain.

It’s refacing, done by ‘Karathing’a’. Cost depends on extent of works.

1 Like

I like this answer. it is good for my pocket.

Kuna Toyota mob zina chain pia e.g 7K (petrol) engine.

If you need to buy a full engine, check industrial area too. Dar-es-Salaam road na Baricho road zimejaa.

Hiyo sticker ya timing belt iko wapi kwa Toyota fielder?
Alafu engine ya fielder ni kama how much?

Angalia kwa cover yake, you might be lucky to find a sticker indicating the mileage when it was last changed. The belt is sold along with the sticker (two) for that reason. Bei ingia TK hapo Kírínyaga road armed with your chassis number.

Hate buying spare parts without atleast a rough estimate of how much it cost!Kenyans are unscrupulous and like taking advantage when they sense you little to no idea!

1 Like