How to end tribalism part 1(think tanks kujeni)

Mmm… I get your point but that would be true if violence was the only symptom of tribalism. In that case we know the educated fellow will be able to do a cost-benefit analysis and know violence is not the way. But there are different manifestations of tribalism that are worse than violence. I know of some collegue whose parents are both well educated yet he was given a list of communities he should not marry from and the guy who is also well educated complies. That is just one minor example you can think of various others so tribalism is not limited to violence.

And what was the reasons given to him?

all the times

In some cases we just need to stop hating and being jealous. And to some extent being literate doesn’t transform to good behaviour, being wise,…

cultural difference(s) plays a big part too

Difference will always exist, you just learn ways to appreciate them.

Morning mwalimu. Wiping off the dust

Would you advocate for the old system?

If you go to some counties for example I’ll pick mine-KK , luhyas tupu are working for county and they aren’t hiring other tribes born in kakamega. I know a kikuyu boy who was over-qualified to be a county clerk,walinyima yeye kazi and instead an under-qualified mnyole was given the job. What went through the mind of this young kikuyu man?

The question is what quality input will that mnyole have that will help improve the county?? Leadership problems I told you.
Now the kiuk will/might start a company and supply the same county and get rich then uskie akiambiwa ameiba.

I was just shaking my head reading his post.

That’s true

It all boils down to politics. Moi alisema siasa mbaya, maisha mbaya! It has now exploded beyond unimaginable levels.

Read here a thread ya SGR nikacheka tu. Ata sikucomment. I know people who vandalise that railway, not because of economic benefits to them, but malice.

We cannot progress this way as a country.

This winner takes it all system of government has to change.

emancipation from mental slavery is the key. Sirikali saidia mentality doesn’t help.

1. Deal with the politicians that use the tribal card
  2. Advocate for nationalism. e.g use of national language in public places. talk you tribal language at home.
  3. Ensure equitable development
  4. Ensure diversity at workplaces, both at the national and county level. Eventually, we will have cosmopolitan towns across the country. For example, Thika, Athi river, and kajiado are moving towards accommodating people from across the country. We should have more such towns courtesy of industrialization.

I knew someone would pick that up, I do not mean illiterate in terms of reading and writing, I meant it in the context of thinking for themselves, such that they know what is expected of them. Most people do not know what gets done where in the country!

I get your point. Its not a clear cut issue other factors come into play as well and those are just parents being parents, the same way they would tell you to avoid a certain religion. Infact, my point was that we can only deal with tribes when we embrace them, not make them our enemy. You can only get at a man through his religion and not your own.

The more we hate tribes(tribalism) the more it will defend itself, we need to embrace our tribes and aim to learn from one another,get rid of the illiteracy that I am talking about

There is also the other end of the stick, the current Nyeri governor was an employee of Mutua in Machakos and they worked very peacefully and progressed machakos even further, leaders are the problem! There is also another county in Central that has a luo in one of the top positions in the county

DJ, wake up and smell the coffee, the majority will always have their way and minority will always have their say, where in the world does the winner and the loser come to share power after elections, did we reduce tribalism when we had bloated cabinet to accommodate everyone, did the common mwananchi feel represented, if I can remember, we were whining how we were paying over 200 people a lot of money just to appease them.
Now those destroying the rails, because you know them, you need to ask them whether that’s the source of satisfaction in a sarcastic way and you will notice they will avoid you henceforth.
Tribalism is fuelled by our leaders across the divide. Period

I beg to disagree. The just concluded elections have shown that tribalism cuts across board for the illiterate and the literate. Look at the tribal bigotry and hatred that was being spewed here and on other online fora by the said literate Kenyans.

On the solution, I think politics really fuel the tribal fire. My suggestion is that we should change our system so that the president is elected by MPs for example so that we stop attaching too much significance to the presidency.
We should also ensure that the devolution actually works so that each county will receive equitable resources and the national government to put in place checks and balances to ensure governors use the allocated resources well and this will alleviate the imbalances in wealth distribution in this country.
If all else don’t work, we should consider having the presidency on a rotational basis.