Is this for real? First class honours but jobless?

Most university students have the mentality that “enda university, maliza, pata bibi na watoto wazuri”. The reality frustrates many.

Ujanja itakumaliza.

I keep saying that in a Kenyan university u need to ‘teach/school yourself’ once the lecturer steps out of the theatre. Most of the shit dispensed by our institutions of higher learning is just that…shit!

Last year only 78,000 new ‘formal’ jobs were created. Mind you most of these are entry-level za 35K per month or less. But we have more than 3M graduates, a good bunch of them who are still un/underemployed. Ukipiga hii hesabu mapema utaona how degrees are just a big scam.

Mwanaume where are you currently attached?

When I joined campus actuarial science seemed to be the best course one could study back then, I don’t know what happened

[ATTACH=full]249522[/ATTACH]

This is where it doesnt work. So many in developed countries are straight A students. Nobody cares. Its your job skills and how you present yourself. By the time someone graduates from college, they already have a resume to sell, if they planned adequately. If your only selling point is that you are a “A” student, you will tamark for 3 years just like Kenya, with 100 job opportunities springing up per month in your city.

Many Actuarial graduates have a sense of entitlement. Most are quite selective. You do not need an internship to graduate from this course

Actuaries are hot cakes. I don’t understand how that guy hana kazi. There’s a new international accounting law coming in 2021 that is making insurance companies rush to have these actuaries in house.

Networking Ni muhimu ,start ukiwa 1 St year ,go do volunteering work in companies that do what you are studying in school and off course have a plan B,apana weka mayai yote kikapu moja

reality is,if you come from a less privileged area, educational papers is all you got, you’ve no mentor even to point you to the right directions or even to encourage you to join those rotaract clubs to hone your skills.

Hot cakes? Says who Kiongozi?

Meffi thread as usual from the village idiot

The gentleman is full of soft skills but lack’s street or hard skills. He fixed his mind in employment as the only option. Many successful men out here don’t have A’s nor first class honors but they took the bull by horns via street smartness. It’s good to have both street smartness and soft skills.The combination is a sure win in any situation or country.That’s my personal opinion

Watu huongelea how you need to be “street smart”. Pia mimi nataka hii kitu. How does one become street smart? Ama kama hukuzaliwa nayo your luck is out?

I am not judging but I am impervious to these PR stunts. I doubt that he lives where he says he lives. It is just an arrangement with a journalist to depict him as desperate as possible hoping he lands it big. Years ago, a person I knew had such an arrangement and it aired on NTV, him pulling a mkokoteni eti amekosa fees. The guy got a scholarship abroad. The question is, of all jobless people, why him on national TV?

The other thing is that people in Kenya tend to equate high entry points of a course with marketability. Some of these courses were introduced to market the parallel programs. So introduce industrial chemistry, actuarial science etc yet no difference between them and mathematics or chemistry majors, they attend all the core courses together and do the same exams

Street smart
[ATTACH=full]249529[/ATTACH]

Its true.I should confirm but as it seems that fellow hana kazi tu juu he doesn’t have IFoA Actuarial papers and most likely it is cz he can’t afford them.One exam is like 18-20K na kuna hadi za 50K yet ni 13 papers in total.
Actuarial science bila Actuarial papers is nothing basically.
What Okiya is saying Risk based supervision has replaced competency based in IFRS standards and thats what Actuaries do.Also,in Pension schemes world over there is a shift from DB to DC schemes.As i said the number of actuaries ni less than 55 in the whole country.Hakuna hata qualified lectures in kenya hadi there was a story of one Prof.Simwa or sth like that mwenye alikuwa anatafutwa na kila University cz he was the only fully qualified Prof plus another one ambaye simjui jina.
That fellow is bright angekuwa na pesa he would easily pass all the exams within a very short time.
For masters the salary is respectable one can afford 10M school fees at Cass Business sch vile u said na ukimaliza u kiss poverty good bye.

This must be the reason. The guy can’t afford those papers.