Kenyan media is a hotbed of mediocrity and stupidity...............

#kenyamediafailure, feeding us mediocrity kila wakati

Niliweka citizen thinking they are airing the event only to find people in some colourless seats talking about Obama. Kuenda NtV n citizen same story. Nilienda Bloomberg nione vitu za maana huko

1 Like

Like that lady at the Airport who was trying to place the pen to be used by Obama back to its holder but couldn’t due to her shaking hands…such is a news item that’s given prominence!!!

1 Like

But KBC tried though being the host broadcaster for the summit…I watched one plenary session on it

Honestly, the Kenyan media lost it on this one.

It all boils down to 2 things: 1) how do the media houses prepare to cover big events happening in Kenya? 2) the training of the journos. Now, the media has 3 objectives: number one is to inform; number two is to educate; number three is to entertain.

Given this background, let’s try and answer the first question. Going by what happened pre GES and during GES, it is clear that the media got carried away by Obama’s arrival here. For that reason, instead of covering the plenary sessions in Gigiri and critically examining whether there is follow through in terms of commitments that might have been made by some investors, the media concentrated on Obama’s visit and the sideshows around it. The result is that the KE media lost an opportunity to inform and educate Kenyans. At the very least, I would have expected interviews with as many investors as possible on their views about the investment environment in KE, and whether there are Kenyan entrepreneurs they’ll be partnering with. Isn’t that what the summit is all about? About the second question, there have been complains about the quality of our journos. There have been complains about the quality of their reporting, the quality of their analysis and their choice of news content. The complainers have been vindicated. The KE journos focused on all manner of trivia around Obama: his motorcade, his security, his handshakes, his mode of dressing and other mundane stuff that is (for the lack of a better term) insignificant. That calls to attention the quality of their training and whether the media houses have the right people in their newsrooms.

To sum it up, it’s a sad day for Kenya and all flags should be flown at half mast on Monday to mourn the state of journalism in KE. At this point, I agree with UK that gazeti ni za kufunga nyama.

8 Likes

Spot on

It is one thing to be INTERESTED; would your interests feature if the editor’s pre-occupation during prime-time news is what who wore how where?

Aaaaaargh!!! I wanted to scream “its KenyaTTA!!!”

Which is why I’ve always held that we need to change our approach towards KBC and its funding. KBC should not be having to commercially compete with the likes of RMS, NMG or SG. We should instead commit to fund it fully. Freed of the profit motive, they can then go out there and bring us news, features and documentaries that really matter. Ni hayo tu.

8 Likes

Click on todays nation and weep. headinhs such as ‘Rumours took centre stage before historic visit’ and It takes millions of dollars tl protect leader’ yet nothing on the Kenyan who has built a robot (was at GES) or the Kenyan made cellphone. what are Akira Chix all about?

What do you expect when the media puts in its newsrooms comedians, socialites and beautiful empty heads? Is there a beautiful female presenter who can hold her own against a brain like Uduak Amimo? But somehow it’s the Janet Mbugua’s, Lilian Muli’s that we are always going gaga about. Not to mention that waste of a sperm called Larry Madondo.

3 Likes

R u from tz? sharo barro ivi

Today is the second day of the summit…I will not bother with TV…I will just stream it …the focus of the media will be the public speeches in KU and Kasarani …how did capital fm manage to secure the exclusive interview?

Ouch!

1 Like

hehe the djck magic

I was watching KTN and there was this guy from Ivory Coast who was giving his life story of how he had been living a good life in Paris but gave all this up to come focus on some startup believing in no one but himself and how his dream paid off. another one was funded to a tune of half a million dollars for another start up. Then KTN switched to some other stuff on Obama and the urge to murder someone had never been this strong.

1 Like

Leo angalau wanaonesha. I am currently watching some 6 panelists and based on the knowledge they are churning out, jana kenyans lost big time from the black out media gave to GES.

prominence is determined by a nation’s development agenda and interests and the role of the media in development is to focus on this agenda. Now between Obash and Kenya’s economic growth and youth empowerment, what deserves prominence. at the GES instead of focussing on Obash focus on the exhibitors who appeared to catch his interest get to show their story their invention and this way you focus on Obash and GES

:slight_smile:

KTN are streaming live now.