Why Are Luo Nyanza Counties So Poor?

Which beautiful towns are you talking about, can you post some pictures.

Chief, it’s better than the owner’s previous house. Progress, no matter how small should be celebrated.

By 1960, even before Independence, they were some pocket in the Mt. Kenya region that farmers were already issued with title deeds.
Come Independence, most coffee and tea farmers had their titles. That meant that they were able to access commercial loans courtesy of their cash crops. The chances of these farmers failing to repay their loans were almost nil.
Fast forward to date, they’re some regions in this country that have not been issued with title deeds, and even if they had these documents, accessing loans from banks wouldn’t be as easy, because of the productivity of their land.
So, when i say colonization to a big extent favored Mt. Kenya and parts of Rift Valley at the expense of other region, the facts are there.
Na watu wa Meru mko na Miraa.

This is greatly sustainable.

You, jigger-infested idiots, are coming here with useless made-up data to justify tribalistic agendas. Migori is not the only Luo County.
Poverty is prevalent all over Kenya and no county is immune. Only 2% of the top population in every county enjoy all allocated county budgets…just like the same percentage who enjoy the National allocated Budget. I belong in that 2% bracket and I’m Luo.

Just like the national stat, 80% of K-Talkers are in that same Kenya Poverty index. Coming here to discuss Mtu Yetu Syndrome is embarrassing.

[ATTACH=full]408369[/ATTACH]
Mukuru kwa Njenga slums Kanairo…Life’s what you make it?

Towns like Kakamega, Kisumu, Nakuru, Nyeri etc have seen their faces improved as a result of the coming of devolution. They now have better streets, cabro paving, drainage, street lights etc

Mbona uko na machungu hivyo Bwana Malenge? Why are you so defensive like a guilty school boy? If someone says Kiambu is the county with the highest number of robbers, I would not trash it provided there are figures and facts.

Do you agree with this statement?

[B]Poverty is prevalent all over Kenya and no county is immune. Only 2% of the top population in every county enjoy all allocated county budgets…just like the same percentage who enjoy the National allocated Budget. I belong in that 2% bracket and I’m Luo.

Just like the national stat, 80% of K-Talkers are in that same Kenya Poverty index. Coming here to discuss Mtu Yetu Syndrome is embarrassing. [/B]

Vayolens hapa

Hakuna mtu amesema kuna counties hazina poverty.

Valid propositions. Hizi ndio thoughts tunadai.

Watu wengi in this area prefer to be employed than have their own small trades. Which is narrow minded thinking, honestly.
Tunafikiria vila “mshahara ya end month”, we have not made it.

Shifting socio-economic perceptions will go a long way in changing the development narrative.
[SIZE=3]That said, bado mnapeana UCTs ni expand fiashara?[/SIZE]

Niite Sibuor Mang’ang’a ,unaskia?

You do realize the counties with the lowest poverty levels in the country apart from Nairobi, Mombasa and Machakos are all from Central and Rift right??

Cultural mindset is a problem, not just in Luo Nyanza, but also to some extent parts of Coast and the people of Turkana.
Even when given a leg-up, they want to be dependent on handouts.
Example, this was actually done by a group from Central Kenya who wanted to introduce those in Luo Nyanza to the profits that come with goat farming in collaboration with a certain Government ministry.
Now the people were given goats to raise.
Here is the problem, they think their job is to get money from the goats and the goats do not need to be taken care of. When the goats got sick, ni kupigia wizara ati “Mbuzi za Serikali zimegonjeka”
Excuse me, aren’t you supposed to use the money you are earning from the goats to pay for a vet???
It also gave the indication that in the long term, those goats will serve them now, then they will die and those people will go back to being destitute. In essence, they will not invest the money earned into artificial insemination to get more goats, buying better milk goat breeds, eventually coming together to contribute money to create value added products that sell for higher prices like Goat cheese.
Mind you, there are farmers who have done exactly that in Nyeri. There lies the difference between the mindset of those in Luo Nyanza, in Kwale and Tana River as well as Turkana and those in Kiambu, Embu and Nyeri.
You just give up on the former because you realize you are pouring money into a hole of dependency. That really, really has to change in those regions.
At this rate, even North Eastern has better hope.

This is subjective, but okay
They make up the bulk of Kenya’s high-paying white-collar jobs.

[/QUOTE]

Mmmm. No they don’t. Where exactly??? Because I am looking at the well paying companies ,parastatals and manufacturers and I can see a near monopoly of people from Central Kenya and Asians at the helm with politically connected people from the Rift and interestingly White Kenyans as silent board members coming third and fourth
You forget. Most companies and yes, most companies in most of the service sector are owned by one community and Asians dominate manufacturing and it seems Asians like hiring people from Central as CEOs too. I can find very few people from other communities at the helm of top companies or as board members.Apart from Martin Oduor-Otieno, the next one isfrom a mid-sized company. Jared Othieno was the temporary CEO of Kenya Power then they went back to the incompetent ones.
I would expect board members to be more diverse, but surprisingly, private companies seem to like those from Central, Asians and Whites. Multinationals are no different.

Muambie akiendelea hivi I may come and pack my 2021 Range Rover Vogue inside his bedsitter na niwachie yeye…aseme anataka pesa achangiwe…nango :smiley:

Anyways kusoma kwa comments yep Kenay hatuko sawa and the reason for sites like ktalk is for open-minded Kenyans to meet share ideas and life moves on lakini naona ni tribalism imejaa hapa…Nyanza hio uliza Moj so sut up and do something about it si kutuambia sijui kwenyu county yenyu mko na pesa sana and yet hizo viazi zenyu ama mogoka nitakuja kuuza huko Nyanza.

Did those CEOs publish their tribes or something. Like if someone is called John Arnold Ridi how would you tell his tribe.

I understand there are few people who have obvious names that show their community but a good number don’t

[ATTACH=full]408507[/ATTACH]

Of course i am not suggesting at we are all exactly equal in resource endowment, but some of those western regions have serious lack of leadership just like mt kenya under uhuru and ofcourse his father. mboya educated these first kenyan leaders and technocrats from western kenya and that was the way to go, but someone like raila just does plain propaganda politics at this point. the other thing i will say is that only a very small portion of meru have miraa as cash crop. coffee, tea and bananas are more significant and widespread. Most people from meru have no idea how miraa is grown as a cash crop.