Why it has taken Uganda so long to embrace Kiswahili

There is an old east African joke that Kiswahili was born in Zanzibar, grew up in mainland Tanzania, fell sick in Kenya, died in Uganda, and was buried in Democratic Republic of Congo."

https://cms.qz.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/AP_7510010247-e1561901804625.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=2200&h=1238

https://qz.com/africa/2167484/uganda-is-embracing-swahili-in-its-curriculum-after-years-of-resistance/

akanyal

Kiswahili died in Uganda rather than DRC. Eastern Congo, Rwanda and Burundi are more swahili speaking than Ugandans.
In Uganda, swahili was associated with soldiers especially during the Amin Era. Also, Luganda has already penetrated much of the country, courtesy the Baganda who regarded swahili as ghetto

Died in DRC buried in Ug.

Eye opener.

Most UG` s I meet, hunuishow…swahili is the business trade

so if you wanna do biz in EA…Swa lazma ama ujifunze 201 languages

otherwise lugha ya mamako kijijini sawa

And true…Only Ug’s who understand Swa are who interact

And…UG hawapendi KE254…fact…they wont be bothered kujua kiswahili na hadi imefika Saud Afrika…

My Malawi bro speak Swahili…FACT

That’s literally what the OP wrote…

Ugandans love their luganda the way tz loves swahili. Huko unapata hata tribes zingine speak in luganda.

uganda will change in many ways when museveni is out

Very true in regards to Swahili association with the Amin Era.

Amin Dada dedishad swahili in UG. I wanna taste a UG kienyeji. One of these days nianigia hapo busia nitombee mmoja nyuma ya hiyo lorry hulala huko

I also dont understand why our closest neighbour doesn’t embrace swahili…even far countries like Drc, Rwanda, Burundi, Malawi even Mozambique are well ahead in the language.

Ougandans are stoopid. They should embrace Swahili

Kiswahili yenyewe huku hatongei poa,ni nini unajaribu kusema chifu?:D:D

Hapo Busia utakuta wakamba tu.

It’s the language of business and unity in Africa

We allowed them to massacre English, now we are giving them Kiswahili. Wasiongee Kiswahili tafathali.

mimi kama mgisu, tunaongea kiswahili Uganda .

@Wanaruona @sludgist

inafikirisha sana