Why TZ SGR is cheaper. The only info I could find.

24 actually

We picked double stacked very wisely. I can wait when we go electric, double stacked cargo and passenger train in 5 years time.

Almost all modern cargo train service globally from usa, Japan, China and EU used diesel power locomotives. Its cheaper and effective. Hapa critics want aesthetic appeal not functional trains. They want a bullet train for passengers and cargo. The maximum speed limit for cargo is 120 kms single haul and 100kms for double stacked in any cargo train service. Ours does the 100km very comfortably pulling 434 containers a trip on double stacked and 217 containers a trip on single stacked.

Asante bw mkuki

i am still wondering how TZ will be affording this. Kenya we have Mombasa and Nairobi two big cities connected by SGR. TZ has Dodoma a poorly organised city(town) and 60% of the population around Dar.

And that is the $1 billion question. Tz said it will fund it themselves. Everyone including themselves know they can’t do that. If anything their tax collection is reducing thanks to the mining shutdown in Tz. The Chinese pullout its financing deal when they gave a Turkey/Portuguese firm to build it instead of Chinese firm. World bank gave them $300 million loan to refurbish their old central line. They tried to divert that to SGR but they were told that is incredibly illegal and fraud. They tried Bric development bank but without China involvement that is not possible. All that development fund is from Beijing as well. Last resort is Development bank of S.Africa and Africa development bank. AFDB have agreed to fund a small % of its construction but wouldn’t be the anchor financier. DB SA has yet to agree. Personally in Tz MPs and government technocrats simply want it shelved but are afraid to say it as it would mean criticism to megafools which is increasingly fatal these days. They would rather spend that amount in development to the districts such as our devolved funds.

Lastly, the feasibility studies that were conducted on SGR Tz pointed that unlike Kenya, their cargo traffic at Dar port can’t take both road and train simultaneously. 7-10 million tonnes is just enough for either train or road transport. If they decide to use SGR then they have to gazette laws making SGR mandatory ending the entire road cargo transport industry. The other option is that Tz convince UG to drop all the time and resources on linking with Kenya through Malaba and connect with Tz SGR through lake Victoria. Unfortunately for them the numbers didn’t add up. It would take 12 hrs to Mwanza from Dar another 12 hrs minimum to offload, reload at a boat and travel across the lake to Entebbe, unload and reload to another train to reach Kampala in another 2-3hrs. That would make it 25hrs best time if all goes clockwork. Mombasa to Kampala SGR is maximum 15-16 hrs, less handling and cheaper. When Tz approach UG, they compared the two and stuck with us. The video below explain it in details. When you compare Kenya and Tz line, the difference is only $10,000 per Km. That’s the truck cost alone despite our truck having a bigger foundation base and heavy steel/spacers to handle double stacked line. The rolling stocks, stations, locomotives, environment, wildlife corridors, land acquisition etc is where the price varies according to needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6IKRxze61g

@spear …hapa ndio inaitwanga ‘mic drop’.

I love it when people speak with facts, at least you get to research on the specifics stated to enlighten yourself or even add/subtract from what was said.
So far watu wamachungu ni mmoja tu amefika, wacha hao wengine watoke demos wakuje kutukanana. #sigh

Hehehe…you are a well informed person. I wouldn’t mind meeting you for nyama choma so that I can get some mentorship. Nitakuletea kienyeji kama mama watoto is not in the picture.

Kenya SGR has so far carried over 500000 passengers in its trial phase. Remember it was completed 18 months under schedule and on budget. Its cargo commercial service trials starts in Dec. So far its transporting all Gok cargo for free from port to Nairobi. Nairobi ICD expansion and modernization is now complete to received the cargo. KPA cargo traffic continues to grow by 12% every year for a decade. Already the numbers this year including this election period is still strong. The recently commissioned kilindini second container terminal has been a game changer and KPA new machinery is making the port very effective. Ship dwell time is down to 1.6 days unloading and loading cargo and waiting time is down to a day. Last month cabinet approved SGR line to be extended directly to berth 1-10 at the port from its Port Reitz cargo station at the port. Therefore trains can be loaded directly at the berths from the ship. CRBC said it only needs 6 months to complete building that line and getting the cranes as well.

The electric SGR in TZ is just a dream…it may come true…but the question is, when? GoT to fund the project at a tune of over 7trn Tshs?..well, all I can say is, let’s wait and see.

Hii tunajua… Kama ni akili tuu, Raila ndio amebarikiwa pekee… Wengine ni ffs! …Isorait

Scotland, please kuwa mpole. You know how to read. You are not a value at a rail road company. What you’re saying is political.

@coldpilsner come here and tell us what senior engineer Raila said about the Railway.

so how many stations along the lines are we talking about in both countries?

shall sgr use electrical engines to haul cargo ama watatumia diesel for cargo na electrical for passenger on the same line,educate me on this…

[ATTACH=full]131101[/ATTACH]

Some peoples heads…the green stuff is the brain. The brown stuff is the cranium pressure. That needs release every now n then…
Both sides of the divide.

Haifiki Arusha na Mwanza?

I don’t know 100% sure if cargo will be electric as well but its possible, however the modern diesel electric train engines are just as fast and effective than current electric cargo locomotives. They are also cheaper to ran and maintain which is why they are yet to be replaced. The speed is now equal since both are capped at maximum 120kms for safety. My take we are good with either or both.

Its is complicated. Phase 1 of $ 1.5 billion goes to a town called Morogoro in the middle of nowhere. The second phase $2billion is from there to Dodoma. It has branches to Mwanza but that I don’t see it been a priority. From Dodoma they should continue on the central line to Kigali and hope we wouldn’t already have done, Kampala to Kigali by then. The Mombasa to Kigali and dar to Kigali is both between $13-15billion. Our northern line costs us, UG and Rw. Southern line will 90% be shouldered by Tz.